Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Diff Whining

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2008, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Whining

[]I've got a bit of a problem with my truck. It's a 2000 z71silverado. I've replaced my rear diff twice now and yet it still whines when I drive it. It sounds like an airplane getting ready to take-off from the airport, when I drive it through a parking garage or through tight streets I always end up getting funny looks. However; when I take my foot offof the gas the noise seems to goaway that is until I accelorate again.After I replaced the gears it ran great for all of about 2 days then the whining came back just like before. If anyone has got any tips or useful advise I'd appreicate it.

Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:03 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Rear Diff Whining

Welcome to the forum!!! Typically the whine is caused by loose fitting gears, when the play in the gears in passed the tolerances. Did you replace the gears yourself or did you take it to mech to haveit done?
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

I had a mech do it for me. Infact he had it for over a month before he told me that he couldnt' fix it.[]I think that I spent over $1300 just for 2 days of peaceful driving. Do you think the mech used the wrong kind of spacers?
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:17 AM
Super Moderator

Its possible, if you can take it to another mech (a good mech)and he should be able to pull the cover off and check the play without having to pull the gears. The last time I had gears replaced (in an old ford)I took the truck to the meahanic whoI hadput a rebuilt engine in it, and hesaid that they don't replace gears, it was easier to replace the whole axelwith an axel with the right gears.
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one that did that. Replaced the gears 3 times and it still whined. Finally replaced the case. Turned out the case was warped, and no set of gears was going to work right. Fortunately, it was under warranty.
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:26 AM
Super Moderator

Good point.
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

That is a good point, but that still puts me in a pickel because the area I live in is dominated by Japanese cars. Therefore 99.9999% of the mechs only know Japanese cars. I've even looked through the scrap yards and no one had an axle for sale. If the case is warped is there any hope of fixing or replacing it within reason?
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:34 AM
Super Moderator

Where do you live? Did your mech explain why he could not fix it or did he just dump it on you?
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

I live in Doha, Qatar. And no, the mech didn't explain why he couldn't fix it. I just got the "I don't know" look and a stupid grin, I can't tell you just how mad that made me.
I've been thinking about selling my truck, but I just love it so much. It really is a good truck to have here, but if I can't find parts or a mech to keep it up I'm going to have to sell it. That is why I'm here, to see if I can get any information that might be helpful.

Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2008, 8:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is there any kind of dealership you can take it to that sells chevys?

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Whining