Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Is it the rear end??

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is it the rear end??

Have a 2005 Silverado and for the past couple of months every once in a while when i would put it in reverse and start to go it would jerk to a stop. Typically after one time it would then go in reverse. Lately it has gotten worse like it gets going and then stops suddenly (now both in drive and reverse).

I recently discovered that there was no fluid in the rear end and replaced that and thought it was fixed, but it is still acting up a bit. Someone else suggested that maybe it was the e-brake, it never acts weird while driving, only when taking off. Any suggestions? In the very beginning i thought it was my 4-wheel drive sticking.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Unfortunately with the rear end not having any fluid in it, you most likely have some bearings burnt and sticking. Do you have a limited slip (g80) in your rear end, if so you need to add some limited slip additive in. But, based on the lack of fluid, most likely it your bearings.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Post Is it the rear end??

I have the same problem and changed the Idle Air Control Valve and Mass-Air Flow sensor and problem solved.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I read that if it is the bearings it would make some bad noises right? It doesn't make any noises. The last time we got stuck in a driveway and the wheel was spinning on the asphault but it wasn't going anywhere.