Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default rear end swap

I'm concidering a rear end swap, with the fuel prices now creaping over $3.00 a gallon here in Atlanta. My $30.00 a day in fuel cost is killing my boat fund!!
My question is... on my 1996 c2500 with a 4:10 gear ratio and being the 8600# series truck can I drop to a 3:43 without over working my engine and trans. Also not hurting my MPG's? I currently get about 14mpg hwy out of my 329,000 all original truck. This includes the transmission. Believe it or not! I drive Alot on the 4 lane parking lots here about 120 to 150 miles per day.
Any suggestions and ideas will be greatly received.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.308man View Post
I'm concidering a rear end swap, with the fuel prices now creaping over $3.00 a gallon here in Atlanta. My $30.00 a day in fuel cost is killing my boat fund!!
My question is... on my 1996 c2500 with a 4:10 gear ratio and being the 8600# series truck can I drop to a 3:43 without over working my engine and trans. Also not hurting my MPG's? I currently get about 14mpg hwy out of my 329,000 all original truck. This includes the transmission. Believe it or not! I drive Alot on the 4 lane parking lots here about 120 to 150 miles per day.
Any suggestions and ideas will be greatly received.
Yes you can. Sounds like your truck is a highway only truck, so it would a good idea. Probably won't get anymore than 2 mpg out of it though... And it will work your engine harder if you ever tow anything.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

3.43 is low. Your speedo wont be accurate for nothing. Why dont you look at a 3.77 or 3.83 something like that? And make the truck as light as you can(meaning no more trips to take the mother in law to Sams Club, hahaha).
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
CF Beginner

Here is what I am thinking. Only dropping a few ratios' will not help me any.?. There again I really have no idea about which one to drop to. My truck sweet spot is the 1900 rpm range. It gets about 15mpg at that point. The problem with that is... this is about 57 mph. People blow the horn at you driving that fast/slow.
and yes this is a Hwy only truck. I do need the heavy frame. Ever once and awhile I need to carry heavy cargo. Plus the 8 foot bed is a must.
Do any of you have any experiance with the diff's from, www.justdifferentials.com ?
Are these quality ring and pinions?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Well, it maybe cheaper to add clearance lights and extra flashers and just travel at 57mph. You have a cap for the bed to aid in your aerodynamicability?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Tags
77, chevy, end, rear, swap, truck