Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear main seal oil leak

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2009, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal oil leak

Well my 08 had a rear main seal oil leak. The dealer made it sound like it was nothing but there is only 17,000 miles on the truck. What is the rear main seal and how big of a job was this? I know they had to drop the tranny. Anything I should watch for to make sure it was all put back together correctly?
Old March 28th, 2009, 5:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was fortunate, and you were too, because we both wound up with dealers who honor the warranty properly. If you've been following some of the posts you'd see some don't do as well as we did.

The rear main seal is a fairly significant job; if they did it right, your truck should run normally with no more oil leak. It's where your crankshaft goes thru the rear of the engine block to face the transmission. The crankshaft is bolted to the bottom of the block with main bearing caps, and the oil pan covers the bottom of the engine, with the front and the rear of the oil pan covering the bottom of the crankshaft where there is a gasket on the sides, and a main seal on the front and rear, so the crankshaft can run a crank pulley out the front of the engine, and connect to the tranny flywheel/clutch or flex-plate/torque converter on the rear.
Old March 28th, 2009, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen any posts to where this is a problem and not covered under warranty. They didn't even question it. They even provided a loaner car for the 2 days they had the truck since they had to order the part.
Old March 29th, 2009, 4:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It was probably just a defective seal or a manufacturing anomaly.

But, aren't you a little pumped to know your dealer is doing you right? Boo-Yah!