Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear tailgate spoiler help

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2009, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tailgate spoiler help

Hi guys!

I have a easy question about the four hexagon "nut" inserts for the rear spoiler on the tailgates. How do I get the long insert nuts to tighten up against the tailgate so when I put the screws in the spoiler is tight and will not pull the nut inserts out?

Thanks
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:06 AM
CF Veteran

Default nut's

i assume you are putting the spoiler type cap on to replace the smooth one . the nut's get compressed into the sheet metal with a special tool for nut zirt's .i did the same thing on my 2500 hd because the gate is heavy to lift up ,and the spoiler gives some thing to hang on to .i had to make a special small metric insert mandrel for the installing tool .you may have to go to a dealer ship or body shop that has the tool .
Old July 28th, 2009, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

I use a nut just larger that the nut sert threads (GM nut serts = 6mm), I think I use a 8mm (that way 8mm bolt spins freely inside on nut sert), I also cut a few grooves on the bottom of nut making contact to nutsert so it bites on nutsert. Make sure you use at least 2 maybe 3 washers between the bolt and the 8mm nut.
You would then need a wrench to hold the nut you cut the grooves in and a 13mm wrench/ratchet for the bolt (use a different bolt and not the torx 30 that holds the spoiler down). I use a cordless impact and a wrench.

Last edited by charlie pachanga; July 29th, 2009 at 8:17 PM. Reason: Sorry wrong size for nutsert