Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

rear view mirror calibration

Old March 2nd, 2009, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view mirror calibration

Hopefully I can get some help here... I'm a Dodge loyalist, but in my truck I got the compass/temp/auto dimming mirror out of a 99 Silverado installed. Ive had it for about 1.5 years and it worked perfectly but i accidentally broke it. So I ordered a new one off of ebay and hooked it up. The temp and dimming works, but the compass is stuck on east no matter what direction i face, with "CAL" in the corner. I did some research and set my variance and did that drive in circles thing but it doesnt change. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Try driving in a tight circular pattern at a slow speed. That will recalibrate some of them.

Sprinter
Old March 2nd, 2009, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Sprinter
Try driving in a tight circular pattern at a slow speed. That will recalibrate some of them.

Sprinter
Yes, I did that for about 5 mins, but nothing. I also went on a 20 min, 20 mile drive thru town, but it didnt even flinch.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 7:46 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Compass Calibration Description
  1. [*]

If this process does not work, then check for magnetic interferance, CB radio antenna, satellite radio antenna, etc.
If all checks out ok, then it sounds like you have a bad mirror
Old March 2nd, 2009, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Compass Calibration Description
  1. <LI type=1>Turn the vehicle ignition switch to the ON position. The letter C should be displayed in the mirror compass window.
    If not, hold the COMP switch for 6 seconds until the letter C is displayed in the mirror compass window.
  2. In order to verify the calibration quickly, perform the following procedure:
    Find an area free of large metal and metallic objects.
    Drive the vehicle in a 360 degree circle at less than 5 MPH, until the display reads a compass direction.
    If the compass does not calibrate after three 360 degree circles and the compass still displays C, replace the mirror assembly.
    If the compass displays C to begin with and then displays all segments after 2 minutes, refer to Magnetic Field Description .
    Normal calibration is achieved automatically by simply driving the vehicle.

If this process does not work, then check for magnetic interferance, CB radio antenna, satellite radio antenna, etc.
If all checks out ok, then it sounds like you have a bad mirror
hmmm... thats kind of a bummer. I followed most of that to a T. The only difference is mine actually says "CAL" and it is always on, whether the engine is running or its just the ignition on. Im pretty sure there is no interference b/c when i hook the cracked one back up the compass is dead on still. Its just this on is always "CAL" and always "E." Would a chevy dealer be able to do anything to help me or no?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 6:07 PM
Banned

what year of vehicle did the mirror come from?

If it is from a newer\older vehicle, there may be a different calibration procedure
Old March 4th, 2009, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
what year of vehicle did the mirror come from?

If it is from a newer\older vehicle, there may be a different calibration procedure
2001 Chevy Suburban
Old March 4th, 2009, 6:12 PM
Banned

Sounds like you may have a bad mirror....programming is damn near identical.....You say you set the variance...I will post a map, just double check that the correct geographic location was selected

Compass Calibration and Magnetic Variance
Compass Calibration

Before calibrating the compass, drive the vehicle to a area that is magnetically clean (free of large metallic objects). Also make sure there is no magnetic objects on the inside or outside of the vehicle close to the mirror.
  1. Start the engine.
  2. Press and hold the COMP switch (on/off switch if equipped with OnStar® controls) until the letter "C" or "Cal" is displayed.
  3. Drive the vehicle in circles at a speed of less than 8 km/h (5 mph) until the letter "C" or "Cal" is replaced by a proper vehicle heading. The calibration procedure is now complete.
Compass Magnetic Variation Adjustment

Magnetic variation adjustments are required when the compass displays a constant error in heading. Variation is the difference between magnetic north and true north due to geographical location.
  1. World Magnetic Variation Map

2. Locate your current geographic location. Refer to the variation zone map.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Press and hold the COMP switch (on/off switch if equipped with OnStar® controls) until a zone number appears on the compass display.
  5. Depress the COMP switch (on/off switch if equipped with OnStar® controls) to change the compass to the desired zone.
  6. After selecting your zone number, the display will show a compass heading after approximately 5 seconds.

Last edited by shawnvw; March 4th, 2009 at 6:15 PM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by huseman808
Hopefully I can get some help here... I'm a Dodge loyalist, but in my truck I got the compass/temp/auto dimming mirror out of a 99 Silverado installed. Ive had it for about 1.5 years and it worked perfectly but i accidentally broke it. So I ordered a new one off of ebay and hooked it up. The temp and dimming works, but the compass is stuck on east no matter what direction i face, with "CAL" in the corner. I did some research and set my variance and did that drive in circles thing but it doesnt change. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks.
Stop your car, then press the "Auto" button of the truck for over six seconds until you can see the numbers 1 through 15 appear on the compass display. These numbers represent the zone numbers or location of your car.
Locate the zone number representing your car's location, listed on the map on the information display.
Press the "Auto" button again to select the zone number for your car's location. If you see the direction displayed on the mirror after a few seconds, you have completed the calibration.

Old October 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by huseman808
I had trouble with my dodge truck mirrors and I use this info to fix my prob.

Compass Operation
With the ignition on, the compass will show two character boxes. The mirror will display the compass heading. When cleaning the mirror, use a paper towel or similar material dampened with glass cleaner. Do not spray glass cleaner directly on the mirror as that may cause the liquid cleaner to enter the mirror housing.

Compass Calibration
The compass may need calibration if:
  • After five seconds, the display does not show a compass heading (“N” for North, for example),there may be a strong magnetic field interfering with the compass. Such interference may be caused by a magnetic antenna mount, magnetic note pad holder or a similar magnetic item.
  • The compass does not display the correct heading and the compass zone variance is set correctly. In order to calibrate, the letters “CAL” must be displayed in the mirror compass windows. If “CAL” is not displayed, push in the “COMP” button for approximately eight seconds or until the letter “CAL” is displayed.
The compass can be calibrated in one of two ways:

- Drive the vehicle in circles at five mph (8 km/h) or less until the display reads a direction, or

-Drive the vehicle on your everyday routine and after several turns the compass will become calibrated and will display a direction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear view mirror calibration