Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuilding steering pump and steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2013, 4:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding steering pump and steering gearbox

Hello,

I am just disassemble a steering pump i bought recently but it got damaged.. it's a long story. anyway, I found that the shaft is burned from over heating and there were some seals totally burned. others look fine but i don't know if i should be able to wiggle them when they're seated. the shaft seal is also ruptured

I wonder if i'll find a new shaft for this pump. i have one question, should the shaft fall freely into the housing when installing it back or i have to tap it in because it gets stuck whenever i tried to put it back in.. I think the shaft might have expanded from over heating.. what you guys think!

For the steering gearbox.. i never really messed with any so it'll be harder for me to figure out what to do with it.. one more question, can a bad steering gearbox cause the steering pump to fail because that's exactly how my steering pump got damaged.

Peace and i'll keep you posted
Old March 18th, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It is easier to get a rebuilt pump and much quicker.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha.. it's always easier to make someone else do it for you but I'm doing this on my own because i love fixing stuff and i have opened a steering pump before i just wanna know what mostly goes bad in them other than seals. I put a new steering pump on my car the other day but i'm not just gonna throw the old one because it went bad. Seal kit only costs around 15 bucks and i feel like i can do it except or the fact that i don't know if the steering pump shaft is bad. there is a small hole in the housing that i don't know what it's for.. not the one for the retaining ring.

I hope someone who rebuilt a steering pump before reads my thread