Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Red or green antifreeze?

Old October 17th, 2013, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red or green antifreeze?

Gonna do a coolant flush on a 2003 chevy, I heard that I should put green back in instead of the red?
Old October 17th, 2013, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure it should be dex cool orange. Whatever you don't mix green and orange together. It likes to clump together when mixed
Old October 18th, 2013, 3:06 AM
CF Junior Member

You can flush out the red and replace it with green. From what I've heard, green is better for the gaskets.
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah they say you are supposed to use the dex-cool coolant because it will keep the aluminum heads from corroding; however, I believe this to be crock of bull. Like country said don't mix them but put either one in there, you will be okay.
Old October 18th, 2013, 4:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

As I understand it the advantages of Dexcool are: its ability to do better with aluminum, its less harsh on seals and gaskets, it last much longer then standard antifreeze... dexcool will go the full 100k miles and 5 years of your warranty without servicing...
Old October 18th, 2013, 4:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I also heard that Dex Cool is more friendly to the environment.
Old October 18th, 2013, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Angry anti freeze

whatever you do, do not allow pets to have access to anti freeze, it is extremely toxic.
Old October 18th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2004 Silverado used in 2010. It had the DexCool (orange) coolant in it, so when I had it flushed, I had them use the same stuff. Also, it is what is recommended by GM.

In my other vehicle, a Nissan Sentra, I use the green Prestone stuff.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 2:43 AM
CF Beginner

IMO, As long as truck is out of warranty I would consider "green" antifreeze. I had issues with intake gasket failure on a 99 5.7 li Vin R that I really believe was a result of using the orange antifreeze. I suspect the orange stuff degraded and attacked the gasket material causing it to fail. Failed gasket was like a "wet noodle" at the point where it failed. Could have been the gasket but I felt better using the green stuff because I never had trouble with it before. Had to replace a leaky water pump early too.

Changed to green antifreeze about a year ago and have not had any issues with it.

Whether using either green or orange it should be serviced according to recommended schedule or a little earlier.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

What he said. Biggest thing is to change it out when it's due. I use a little added insurance and every other year add a can of "anti-rust' or in the old days "Water pump lube"

You don't want to mix dex-cool with anything. I wouldn't even take a chance with the new formulas that say mixes with anything.
Dex-cool will form a gel if you mix it with the regular green stuff. Worked on a couple gelled ones and it's a pain to get them open again. Same if you make the mistake of adding Dex to regular. Either way it's a bad scene.

IMHO Out of warranty, I'd go with a standard non Dex long life coolant.
Attached Thumbnails Red or green antifreeze?-cooling-system-anti-rust-prestone.jpg   Red or green antifreeze?-antifreeze-peak.jpg   Red or green antifreeze?-antifreeze-prestone.jpg   Red or green antifreeze?-antifreeze-walmart.jpg