Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

regear from 3.42's

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regear from 3.42's

I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 z71. I have added a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. The truck has the 5.3L with the 4 speed auto trans and 3.42's in the axles. I want to regear from the 3.42's thinking about 4.10's. Also thinking of installing a trutrac locker since ill have the rear axle torn down anyway.I am about 70/30 city/highway so I figure the 4.10's would be my best bet. Does this sound like I am heading in the right direction? Any help would be awesome.
Old July 26th, 2012, 5:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh I'd do 4.56s. Better low end for city drivin and I know with 35s, city drivin sucks. I do mostly city drivin and am Doin 4.88 gears. And a tru trac is a great choice. Most people regret Doin what they thought was a good choice and wish they'd have went lower. Which is why doin it that low the first time
Old July 26th, 2012, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
Eh I'd do 4.56s. Better low end for city drivin and I know with 35s, city drivin sucks. I do mostly city drivin and am Doin 4.88 gears. And a tru trac is a great choice. Most people regret Doin what they thought was a good choice and wish they'd have went lower. Which is why doin it that low the first time
Would 4.56's kill the gas mileage on the highway? I don't spend much time on the highway. But shes my daily driver so I use the truck for making long trips anywhere from 1-6 hours when I go. I get around 16/gal now, how bad would it drop with the 4.56's versus the 4.10's?I don't go off-road very often if that makes a difference. I have heard great things about the tru-trac so I am going to stick with that. Thanks for your help.
Old July 26th, 2012, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Also, have you had any issues with your truetrac? I have read that is it not recommended for tires over 33". I just don't want to get it installed and then something go wrong. I don't "dog" my truck so I don't believe I'll have an issue with it.
Old July 26th, 2012, 6:41 PM
Super Moderator

No it wouldn't kill it. May not be optimal for you but I hear people with 4.56s and 35s with a custom tune get around 16 mpg at 65 on trips. City gas mileage is where it really helps out. And I've never had an issue with it, neither have a lot of other people on gmfullsize. Another forum I get on. That's actually what they recommend to everyone who asks about a diff when regearing
Old July 26th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Oh ok. I preciate your help and info. Quick question is the shift linkage on my 4 speed auto trans adjustable? I go to get out of the truck tonight after making usual stops all day and she won't go into park. It will shift from reverse all the way down but it feels loose and won't lock into park. Have you heard of this happening before?
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Active Member

I've always knew putting bigger tires on screwed up the gearing but everyone thought i was nuts. I always heard "They FIT so its good". They still complained about mileage and power though. Great info. I don't feel so nutty now.
Old July 27th, 2012, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by warrior1
Oh ok. I preciate your help and info. Quick question is the shift linkage on my 4 speed auto trans adjustable? I go to get out of the truck tonight after making usual stops all day and she won't go into park. It will shift from reverse all the way down but it feels loose and won't lock into park. Have you heard of this happening before?
Nope never heard of that before....sounds like it's gettin caught on somethin
Old July 28th, 2012, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

I found out what the issue was. The retainer clip housing on the lower shift control cable was broken. I got a new cable and she shifts good as new. (Just some insight, if your lower or upper cable fails a Chevy Dealership will require you to purchase both cables as one. So if they say it's all one unit they mean it is both the upper and lower cable you just can't buy them separate anymore.)
Old July 28th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

When you do regear, contact Justin at blackbear performance to get your truck tuned for them gears. Will make one hell of a difference when done

Quick Reply: regear from 3.42's