Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Remote door locks

Old July 18th, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Remote door locks

How can you tell if the key fob is bad or is it the receiver in the truck. I replaced the key fob several years ago and it worked. I just replaced the battery this week, but it works on and off and I have to be close to the truck for it to work. How can I tell which one is the problem?
Old July 18th, 2012, 4:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check inside the fob and see if the connections are broke. Mine did that to me and would work when it wanted to. Soldered it back and works like a charm again
Old July 18th, 2012, 6:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The local AutoZone has a key fob tester. Hold the key fob next to it and click the buttons. It tells you if a signal was transmitted or not. Other parts houses probably have the same.
Old July 18th, 2012, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

what they said.

i have a set of electronic chassis ears(automotive listening device)...I can hear the fobs signal through the chassis ears; which makes me wonder if you could tune a radio frequecy and hear the signal through the radio?
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
How can you tell if the key fob is bad or is it the receiver in the truck. I replaced the key fob several years ago and it worked. I just replaced the battery this week, but it works on and off and I have to be close to the truck for it to work. How can I tell which one is the problem?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The other posters offer great suggestions. Another thing to consider is the fob may need to be resynchronized.

Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by this system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver. The receiver will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.

To resynchronize your transmitter, stand close to your vehicle and press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter at the same time for seven seconds. The door locks should cycle to confirm synchronization. If the locks do not cycle, see your dealer for service.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service