Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote start?!

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start?!

What's up everyone?! New to the forum and new to chevy also. Just got my self a 2013 silverado ls base model. Someone told me that it has the remote start already built in it that all I have to do is get a different remote and that's it. Is that true?! Thanks for the feedback ahead of time!!!
Old April 12th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I doubt it. Since it is new, I'd think it would have the key fob with the start button on it. These require a transponder for that function.
Old April 13th, 2013, 6:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I just got a 2013 Silverado also and the keyless entry is not standard equipment on the base model. I went with a truck that has keyless entry and many other add ons as I figured it was worth the extra money instead of having to add all these things on myself. Ends up being cheaper to get the truck with these things already installed.
Old April 13th, 2013, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

If you already have a fob with door unlock/lock functions, you already have a transponder (the remote fob) and the BCM has the capability of receiving signals.
When I worked for GM (prior to 2009), if you have the remote door functions, all that would be required is a new calibration in the BCM and a remote with the "start" button. If you did not already have the remote for door unlock/lock, then it would require a complete new BCM and fob.
Dealer will charge to install the new calibration,, the fob you might be able to find online, if not you might need one from a dealer.
The dealer should be able to help you.
(It's been a few years, so things might have changed at GM in regard to BCM usage...so...)
Old April 13th, 2013, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have the remote to unlock/lock. I have to goto the dealer in a couple days and ill ask them.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedman
What's up everyone?! New to the forum and new to chevy also. Just got my self a 2013 silverado ls base model. Someone told me that it has the remote start already built in it that all I have to do is get a different remote and that's it. Is that true?! Thanks for the feedback ahead of time!!!
Hello,

I'd be happy to look up your vehicle build sheet and check and see if your vehicle is equipped with the remote start function. If you're interested, just send me your VIN number.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Amber, My vehicle is an Uplander 1GBDV13W18D197164. (1) Can you confirm that this vehicle is "remote-start-ready", and if yes, (2) do I simply need key fob #15114374 and a BCM reprogramming for remote start capability, or (3) are mechanics also required to add a new hood latch and warning stickers like used to come in the now-unavailable upgrade kit? (4) If a new hood latch is required, what is the part number of the original remote-start-capable hood latch with a faulty design, and what is the part number of the redesigned hood latch? (5) If additional parts are needed, what are they? (6) What should reprogramming cost, and is it a proprietary service or can it be done by anyone who knows how to operate a Tech 2 tool? (7) Can a remote trunk release or sliding door be similarly added by just getting a fob with more buttons and a reprogram?

Last edited by halliwellc; May 23rd, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has the remote start prep package, you need to buy the new fobs from the dealer. The fobs will come with a VCI# which allows the dealer to download a new BCM program to include remote start. Technically any shop that has a J2534 pass through module and the proper subscription maybe able to do it. Since it is a new truck it would be best to have it done at the dealer so no warranties are voided.