Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote Start Effective Range

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2010, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Effective Range

Does anyone know where the remote start antenna is located (exactly) on my 2007 Silverado (NBS) LTZ Crew Cab?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 20th, 2010, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

I dont know were it is , just wondering is yours not working as good as when it was new mine worked great from in the house and across the parking lot and now I almost have to be standing next to it. just found this forum hopefuly its not a dud of a forum
Old January 21st, 2010, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

To be honest, mine still works ok from across a parking lot and from the house to the garage (I have a detached garage) which is approx. 100 ft. distance but I realized that to get any distance at all I need to raise my hand (remote) up above my head, the higher the better. I would much rather have an aftermarket remote starter but my truck is an LTZ though so it came with the package.
Old January 21st, 2010, 9:46 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Fresh batteries can make a world of difference, also the amount of brass and other metals you carry the key chain also affect the range.
I do not have the remote start but in general with the remote unlock I have found that higher is better... holding the key fob at chest level or over my head will get me more distance....
its the same reason radio and cell towers are on hills and not in valleys
your remote is broadcasting a signal...
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have had it to the dealer when it was under warr. they changed batt. fobs but it still does not work the same just tonight I tryed it after dinner and was within two. parking spaces away before it would fire up. Is there a antena and how do I find it to make sure it is clear.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Well, that takes us back to my original question. Where is the antenna located for the remote start module? I was hoping that some Chevy "expert" would see this and tell me where it is located so I don't have to tear the truck apart looking for it. I read somewhere else that on an Avalanche it's in the back, above the rear window somewhere tucked in a wire bundle that is possibly creating enough interference to greatly reduce the range for the remote. I work on F-16 avionic systems in the Air National Guard and have done so most of my adult life so I understand the principles of RF and distance/power etc. but after reading about how some guy found his antenna for the remote start and re-located it so that it was on the outside of the wire bundle he was able to greatly increase (almost double) the range of his remote. I appreciate all of your replies, but I am really looking for the exact location of that antenna because I know it's in there somewhere but I don't want to destroy my truck looking for it. I have already tried all of the obvious cures so this is basically my "last resort"...
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Administrator

On the 07 Tahoe it is located in the rear drivers side pillar, also conveniently near the side impact air bag canister....
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

try this thread....

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=remote
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

I was thinking it was somewhere in that area. I don't have side-impact air bags so don't have to worry about that. Thanks also for the other link, will try that here in a minute... Ok, I'm back. Yes, that is the actual thread I was referring to! Thank you! I want to achieve the same results as that guy, but just wanted to get a good idea of where the wire is located in a NBS Silverado... Maybe I'll just have to start disassembling trim on the driver's side toward the back of the cab and see what happens. Not sure when I will start this project though, it's pretty darned cold out in the garage right now! Come on springtime!!

Last edited by f16_fixr; January 24th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I hear you there, here in Texas we just had 3 great days of dry 75 degree weather, got the truck washed, waxed, inside cleaned, tires look band new again with a bit of armorall... got to love the nice weather...

Quick Reply: Remote Start Effective Range