Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ring and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring and Pinion

Confirmed by dealer and what I suspected, ring and pinion bearing making a bad noise on 2000 Silverdo with 85,000 miles on it. Anyone else had a problem with this. Dealer says $1500 to fix, of course extended warranty has ran out.
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Ring and Pinion

1500 seems a .little high to me how much for a second hand rearend
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Really haven't checked into it much. Was hoping for some help from GM but, nothing there. Still investigating my options.
Old December 12th, 2006, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure if it's the same rear end, but we recently replaced the pinion bearing, race and pinion seal on our '96 silverado and it cost only 180 dollars. It sounds like you need to find another mechanic
Old March 6th, 2007, 1:17 AM
CF Beginner

I would find new mechanic if it's a bearing they can be replaced. GM does not use delco moriane bearings anymore they can have 2 or 3 diffirant brands in the same unit. I have seen lots of bad side &pinion bearings.
Old March 6th, 2007, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you're reusing the stock gears, just replace the bearings yourself. Pull the wheels off and if you have drum brakes take the drum off and push the axle in. Pull off the rear diff cover and then take out the c-clip out of the carrier and then you can pull the axle out. Once the axles are out, mark the caps to so you can put them back where they came from. Unbolt them and then pull the ring gear and carrier out and then take it to a machine shop to get the old bearings pressed out and put new ones in. If you're going to replace the pinion bearings, use a pipe wrench to hold the pinion and then losen the nut and pull out the pinion gear. You'll have to use a brass floating punch to remove the old bearing races from the housing. Then again take the pinion to a machine shop to swap out the bearings using the same amount of shims that came out.