Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

roll pin in transmission

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow roll pin in transmission

i have a 1988 C1500 Cheyenne that is 5speed. my roll pin in the top of the transmission right under the stick is messed up and keeps sliding out. i don't really want to take it to a shop because they will probably charge me an arm and a leg to change that 1 little piece out even if i take the tranny alone to them. does anyone know how to change the roll pin out? i have been trying to find it on google and can't. we are fixing to put a new clutch in it in a few days and i would like to get the pin fixed since it's gonna be out anyway.
Old May 11th, 2012, 3:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the retainer still in place?

Allan
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

i don't think so. i didn't even know there was supposed to be one..... it backs out through the bottom side now though. at first it was coming up through the top so i put a dime down there to keep it in place and it worked until it started going through the bottom.
Old May 12th, 2012, 5:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Are you talking about the shift handle or a slide rail coming out (terms top and bottom are throwin' me a little here)?

Post a picture of exactly what your talking about and we'll get 'er goin' with little effort.

Allan
Old May 12th, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

it's the 1 for the shifter in the top of the trans. the pin slides out through the bottom. yesterday my husband took the drain plug out and there are all kinds of metal pieces stuck to it so he's going to get me another one today. thanks for your help though!
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

if your drain plug has lots of metal on it you probably have more problems than the clutch
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CF Pro Member

If it's the transmission I think it is, that shifter is held in by two short stubs, which are in turn held in place by a retaining ring. However, if it has the big devil, you're right; a roll pin and a spring loaded screw on cap.

Don't worry about the crap on the drain plug. Par for the course on a standard tranny. If the transmission works okay, all is well.

Allan
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

thanks Allen! I don't know what it's supposed to look like originally but there very well might supposed to be a spring and cap. not really sure. he has decided to go to the junkyard and find me another one just in case this 1 is worse off than we think. i appreciate your help!!