Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ruff idle under load

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruff idle under load

Hi there everyone,

I have an 86 C/10 silverado 305. It's all stock except for the Edelbrock 600(1406) 4 barrel carb & aftermarket HEI distributor. SO heres what i"m dealing with. The truck starts first click, once warmed up and choke kicked down, I put it in gear (reverse or drive) and the idle shakes the truck like crazy. surging/missing type of idle. once i give it gas it hesitates a slight bit then takes off (runs pretty good till i stop at a lights). I couldn't stand it anymore so I picked up a timing light, timed it between 8-10,adjusted my idle mixture screws to max vac and the truck sounded real nice and tough! Ran good for about a week. Basically if I took off quick a few times,not smoking the tires but getting it up to about 100km/h, eventually it would go right back to the bad idle!! wanting to stall under load! I then proceeded to time it again,(timing never moved) adjust my idle mix screws in then out to max vac.....boom back to normal! Once again few days later back to horrible idle! The carb is less than a year old! Tried cleaning the carb and spraying in each mixture screw while reving it up! It works great for a little bit! Tried turning the mix screws 1 turn out,1 1/2, 2,etc! the truck has no cats installed,but regardless I can tell it's running a lot more rich than it should! Bad mixture screws? when adjusting the right side in, the engine revs down like it should, but left side (when I adjusted them tonight) didn't slow the idle down! Anyone ever have this type of issue! Loosing my mind with this being that its my daily driver! Thanks a head of time for who ever reads this!
Old March 9th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like it might be an Edelbrock haha. everyone i know with these it ends up braking and they end up buying holley after that and problem fixed but if its not idleing down when your turning it to do so id say start with the mixture screws. but just personal experience edelbrocks have not been to good to us. but id say the problem is in your carb if you can adjust it and have it run fine for a week then it does the same thing. hope this helps kinda and good luck