Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rust issue.. please help me.. 2003 chevy

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust issue.. please help me.. 2003 chevy

Ive busted my rear this summer to buy my first truck.. a 2003 Chevy Silverado. On the lot the thing was flawless. I paid ALOT.. and im still doing payments. After a few washes im finding rust bubbles under the paint on top the fenders. I see no bubbles on the rockers other than some minor surface stuff where the mud flaps rub. Today I was told by a freind if the wheel wells have bubbles then the chances my rockers are being eaten away inside is really really good. Frame rust isnt bad... my dads 2011 has the same amount. Im super worried and I just ordered flares. Body shop told us they can braise the rust, treat it, and put the flares on since its just surface. Im scared ****less my rockers are next though.. they seem good but but I've learned rust comes from nowhere on these trucks. I've also been told in 2003 the rockers were improved?? Should I worry?
Attached Thumbnails rust issue.. please help me.. 2003 chevy-psx_20140715_222916.jpg  
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can we help?
Old July 22nd, 2014, 9:42 AM
CF Active Member

Not sure where you are at but your rust issue sounds pretty minor. I live in the rust belt so I would be pretty excited about that level of rust on an 03.

If you are really worried about it, go a head and take it to the shop and let them grind it off, but have them paint it and don't bother with the flares because the flares actually promote rust.
Old July 24th, 2014, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Maybe consider some DIY rust treatment products from Eastwood or I've even seen some on Summit Racing. What really needs to happen is to have the whole area taken down to the metal, inside and out, coated/treated/cut/replaced/primed/ whatever and then re painted.