Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thinking of buying my first chevy pickup

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2006, 10:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying my first chevy pickup

I'm new to the board, I'm thinking of buying at an orange 2001 chevy silverado 3/4 ton, 4x4, 6.0 liter, automatic with 27000 well cared for miles. I was wondering what kind of fuel milaege could I expect, and is there anything to look for or be concerned about.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: thinking of buying my first chevy pickup

Ive got an 03 1500HD Crew, 6.0, 4l80e, 3.73 gears, and i get about 13mpg. the 1/2ton crew cab is about 5000lbs so if you are looking at a smaller cab you may get a littlle better mpg. My grandfather(may he rest in peace) had a 04 2500HD standard cab same engine/trans with 4.10s and claimed 15-17mpg on the highway empty. I dont know what the weight diference is. hey that what you pay for 300hp in a gas motor.
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM
CF Junior Member

yeah I dont know what gears are in it. It is a extended cab short box though. I dont really need the 6.0 or the 3/4 ton chassis, because I dont use my pickup for pulling very often. but I love the color of the truck and with 27,000 miles It's like brand new. I know the owner pretty well, so I think he might cut me a deal. I found a couple of 1/2 tons that are identical to this one except one has a 4.8 and the other has a 5.3. What kind of milaege could I expect with the 4.8, or the 5.3.
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

dont know what the smaller v8's get for mileage.
All 2500's have 4.10s stock unless you get the deisel, then you can chose 3.73 or 4.10.
Old August 5th, 2006, 4:01 PM
CF Junior Member

You'd get good mileage for a truck with the 4.8 or 5.3 Expect upper teens. I'd get the 3/4 ton, though. Bigger is better!

Take care and God bless,
1ND-hoppe
Old August 5th, 2006, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah, ive been weighing the pros and cons. I'm thinking the 3/4 is the way to go, as far as the 6.0's fuel milage yeah it matters. but it's not going to be a daily driver.
Old August 5th, 2006, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

To all the, about to be buyers. Go big or don't go at all. Gas prices are gonna cost no matter what you get anymore. Anytime from the concrete construction field. You will regret that you went little, so go big. You might use it someday when uyou need it the most.
Old August 6th, 2006, 3:20 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm going to go look at the truck on tuesday. I was always a ford guy (still am a little I guess), so forgive me if I seem a bit ignorant. I see some of the 3/4 tons have black fender flares on them, I guess I dont mind them too much. But can you take them off if you dont want them on. Also I see the 3/4 tons have a bigger bulge in the hood than the 1/2 tons, but sometimes I see 3/4 with the same hood as a 1/2 ton. was that an option or is that what seperates the 2500hd from the 2500. Like I said im not trying to be ignorant, im just not up on all my chevy info yet.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I have a 2000 1500 4.8 3.73 gears 4 wheel drive. It gets 15-16mpg. I have a friend with a 2500Hd duramax 4 wheel drive with 4.10s. It gets high teens low 20 mpg. The 2500 will ride a little more like a truck due to the heavier suspension. My 1500 rides like a caddy on the highway. The seats are more comfortable than my BMW. If your coming from a Ford the seats in the Silverado will be a blessing. I would go with the duramax if its in your budget. There is just so much more you can do to get more power for your buck.
Old August 12th, 2006, 4:30 PM
CF Junior Member

turns out his pickup was tan not orange, so thats a bummer. But Ive found a few more. My problem is that the crops werent to good this year so I wont have much to haul, $3.35 a gallon for diesel doesn't help iether, and money will be stretched kind of tight till next summer. I just dont know if I should bite the bullett and buy one now, but I dont want to wait another year because sunset orange is a pretty hard color to find, and I dont want to buy a pickup with more than 100,000 miles on it, so if I wait another year thats just that many less to choose from.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying my first chevy pickup