Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Service Engine Error Code PO442

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2006, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Error Code PO442

Hey all, stumbled across this forum while trying to learn a little bit about my engine error code on my 01 chevy silverado 1500 - 118K miles. Just last month I had my fuel pump replaced. About 2 weeks after the fuel pump was replaced I got the service engine light...resulting error code P0442. Which I found out could be caused by a loose gas cap so I thought this could have been caused by the fuel pump replacement so I disconnected my battery and reset my computer. About 2 weeks later truck would not start again and I could not hear the fuel pump engage when starting my truck. So I got under the truck and hit the gas tank and then the truck started up and ran took it back to the mechanic and tried restart it there before I went in and it started and sputtered and then it died. Which indicated to me that maybe the new pump was bad. So I went in to see mechanic he came out started truck right up and it has not quiet running since. Yesterday my service engine light came on...resulting code the same PO442. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks!
Old September 8th, 2006, 2:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Service Engine Error Code PO442

What is a code P0442?
Old September 8th, 2006, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

PO442 is a Service Engine Error code can be caused by one of the following:

1. Defective or loose fuel cap
2. EVAP canister or hose cracked- not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4. Vaccum leak at engine
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Not to sound stupid or insult you but have you check those?
Keep in mind their can be other causes. I have a 96 Silverado, I don't remeber the codes, but it said both sides were running lean, it ended up being bad plug wires.
On the fuel rail you should have a tire valve steam, it should have a cap over it. Let the pressure out, then put your ear on the tank and have someone turn the key forward to run, you should hear the pump building pressure, if you don't you have a quiet pump or a bad pump. I haven't tried to lisen to a new one yet, I may go tomorrow and test drive one though and get back to you, (I need something to do anyway). On my 96 i had a remote starteer, if you stood close to it you could hear the pump before ti started.