Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service StabilityTrak & service traction control

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2014, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service StabilityTrak & service traction control

Hi all,

I have a 08 Silverado 5.3 crewcab less than 73,000 miles on it.
last week setting at traffic light engine started idling rough and sounding as if it was just about to give out of gas(had 1/2 tank). while setting there wondering what was happening the service stabiltytrack and service traction control lights came on, once I pulled off it seemed to drive ok.

Since I've had this truck its been problems, first it would shift gears with loud thud, as if someone just rear ended you,chevrolet decided to replace the slip yoke with a chrome one(?) that worked for a while, still get the thuds.

Anyway can anyone tell me what will be done with the servicing of the stabiltytrak and traction control? I wonder if this is a common manufacturers defect, with as few miles as this truck has Chevrolet should offer somekind of help with the repairs.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks,

Chevy55
Old October 26th, 2014, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

This is exactly what happened to my truck three weeks ago. Service stabilitrak,service traction control. Many things can cause these messages. unfortunately mine was a misfire on #6 cylinder caused by a collapsed lifter to take out my cam. Motor shot.Yours could be something as simple as a speed sensor. 5.3l with Afm are infamous for lifter issues and can cause serious damage. Beware.
Old October 27th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

09Silverado,

Thanks for the information.
I am a bit curious on your lifter problem that cause your truck engine, did Chevrolet give you any assistance toward your repair exspense or offer a discount toward a trade in or anything to help you??

I will take mine in this morning to the local chevy dealer where I purchased it and see what the problem may possibly be.

thanks,

Chevy55
Old October 28th, 2014, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately no help. They have drug out the process now for three weeks asking for service records,phone tag with me and the dealer,etc and dealer called me a couple of days ago and said "sorry...GM won't do anything". TOOK THREE WEEKS!! Now I have a truck that I still owe on that needs a motor. From the beginning with GM I told them I didnt expect anything for nothing. Maybe they supply the motor and I pay the labor or we 50/50 the total bill. I thought it was more than reasonable and I was never demanding or rude to their customer service rep on the phone. My service records were spot on and although they have had numerous TSB's for this exact issue they appear unwilling to accept any responsibility. Bottom line is I maintained the truck properly, they said that it is not GM's problem so that means that it is reasonable that your motor could only last 70,000 miles. I LOVE Chev trucks and was excited to buy a new generation Silverado. Maybe I need to park my new lawn ornament somewhere with a nice sign on it. My business works within the construction industry so everybody I deal with on a daily basis owns a truck. GM wont be long losing 1000 times the small amount of money it would have taken to help me out. Many of my customers were waiting to see the outcome. I deal with warrantys daily and would never leave a customer of mine out in the cold like this and if I did I wouldnt be in business very long. Customer service is customer retention! Sorry for the rant but it has been a frustrating situation . Best of luck!
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

For the slip yoke problem I had with this truck, I actually contacted GM wrote them a email told them about the problem, a couple of days later had a message to call rep, told her exact problem she looked into it, then local dealer called saying bring truck in for diagnosis, manager tells me why didn't you just come to me. What?? I did that's why I had to contact GM corporate office, anyway they replaced it at no charge to me. U may have to go above dealer for results. GM customer assistance .
I don't have the contact info now I've deleted it .
Old October 29th, 2014, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

It was GM Customer Care that called me after three weeks of "consultation with the dealer and the DSM for my area". Since I hadn't bought the truck from my local dealer I am pretty sure they have alot of say on whether or not you get assistance. From what I can gather GM is passing on the decision made by the local DSM whom I have never even spoke to and apparently am not able to.
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

09 Silverado, I got the report from the Chevy dealer and tech found that my #7 had fowled out due to pcv blow-by. Gave them the ok to square things away, plugs, pcv valve cover were all replaced, now truck runs real good. Tech said he did a double check for code and found nothing. I think he said the original code he found was a p0300 misfire. Truck now seems to have bit more power, or is it I am trying to convince myself it does because I spent $467.00 for this...gheezz. 09, hope you get your truck squared away soon.
Old November 16th, 2014, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me too

Chevy truck 55 Keep a eye on your oil level. And they not only find #7 they should have found #1 with flowed plugs. My truck is do the same thing every 40 to 60 thousand miles i have to replace plugs 1 and 7 for rough idle. you should have different oil levels when you change it. Just like the other fellow said with the PVC and the blow by. From what I get out of people the problem is in the AFM the oil blow by happens when it goes for 4 to 8 cylinders. From what I have found. I am no mechanic. I look for a tuner to shut off AFM and still be able to tune V8 for MPG.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Hey ChuckChevy,
The Tech at the Chevrolet dealership did go ahead and tune the truck up with new plugs and things. I normally check my engine oil every couple of days, just to make sure it is ok.