Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Service Tire Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2013, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Monitoring System

I own a 2007 chevy silverado. Last week the "Service Tire Monitoring System" message popped up and the yellow caution light lit up. The message showed up again today. I decided I was going to try and do some troubleshooting. Earlier today I decided to "Relearn the Tire Positions" on the truck. I got a horn chirp on all wheels EXCEPT the passenger side REAR wheel and I stress I attempted this twice today and will try again tomorrow. I did wait over 30 seconds for a chirp and no chirp. When I completed the process I took a look under the truck and noticed some moisture around the rear axle shaft where it meets the back of the wheel. Havent noticed anything leaking from the area but i can tell its fluid from the area. I live in Arkansas and believe me when I say this our roads are some of the worse in the country. I did hit a pothole on the highway few weeks back but like I said the message didnt show up til last week. Im thinking its a bad sensor but thinking it could be a wheel problem too.

Any suggestions or comments??

Also when I was releasing the air to "Relearn Tire Positions" and putting air back in tires I heard a slipping noise when I was at that wheel im having problems with.

Thanks
Old June 6th, 2013, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a bad sensor to me....maybe you could try switching tire positions and see if the problem follows that tire. Not sure what the battery life is on the sensors, but if they are original sensors you could be pushing it.
Old June 6th, 2013, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the tpm sensor is housed in the rim and tire assembly. Even if the axle seal was leaking; it could not effect the tpm sensor.

typically when the tpm light flashes on and off there is a fault in the system. When the tpm light comes on solid and stays on; there is a low tire pressure.

Were all the tpm displaying a pressure in the dash display before you attempted to register the tpm?
Old September 18th, 2013, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Silverado TPM Problem

I have read thru the posts and thought I would ask for help/input. I have a 2008 Silverado 2500 with Duramax diesel. I have 113,000miles on it. Three days ago, I got an indication on the dash that the left rear tire pressure was low. The low tire orange light lit and the indicator showed the pressure to be 1 lb. I checked the tire and it was not leaking and had 64 psi in it. I drove the truck today and noticed that the low pressure warning would come on and then all of a sudden go out (both the text in the display and the "low tire " warning" indicator on the dash) as though I had an intermittent connection. I could drive a few miles and it would come on and then go out. I understand from the posts above, that the TPM unit is located in the wheel/tire. How do I service it?

Thanks,
Ed