Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Shifting into reverse problem

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 7:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shifting into reverse problem

Yesterday 2 times separate times, when i put it in reverse and pushed the gas to go in reverse it didnt go in reverse, so i had to put it in park and back into reverse again, why did this happen twice anybody know? Do i need to change my transmission fluid or something?
Old May 10th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Junior Member

sounds like a worn out clutch or pressure plate or it could be low fluid pressure. just sayin this off of speculation i could be wrong but these sound like very probable causes
Old May 12th, 2011, 6:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hunt4X4
sounds like a worn out clutch or pressure plate or it could be low fluid pressure. just sayin this off of speculation i could be wrong but these sound like very probable causes
Also sometimes but not all the time, when im driving and its about to change gears, it kicks into gear, and also sometimes right when i press the gas to go it give a little jerk just a small jerk like the transmission kicks into gear also
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

My truck does this same thing! 2002 2500HD. it feels like transmission kicks in gear when i hit the gas after ive been coasting and it also did the reverse thing once.
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok i had the same thing. GM transmissions have an issue with this
They are made with weaker parts like polyurethane and hard plastics, and they tend to break or wear out. So you may need a new transmission, check first with a good shop. As for your hard shift you can fix that easily. Again with GM the slip yolk on the driveshaft was a bad design. All you need to do is take out the rear driveshaft and grease the slip yolk. Then to prevent anymore hardshifts, as you will have to grease monthly or buy an aftermarket slip yolk, I would buy a shift kit to reduce the torque on your driveshaft between shifts because it will shift much faster or smoother