Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

should a torque converter rattle when tipped side to side?

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should a torque converter rattle when tipped side to side?

I dropped the 4L60E tranny from my 1994 C1500 because it was slipping all over the place in 3rd and 4th. I noticed after I removed the TC that if I held it level and tipped it side to side that it sounded/felt like something was sliding around inside. I looked inside where it connects to the input shaft and noticed that the part that connects to the shaft was the part moving. It seemed to move about 1/4 inch in every direction. If I mount the TC to the tranny and rotate it by hand it seems to operate normally. No grinding, rattling, scraping, etc, sounds.

Is this normal or is the TC bad? When I drained the tranny there was no chunks or large pieces of metal but the fluid was burnt to a crisp.

I have a used replacement tranny to put in (out of a camaro). My real questions is is the TC bad or is it normal to have some movement on the inside? I dont want to put it back together and waste my ATF if I just have to remove it all again to replace the TC.

TYVM all. In case you cant tell I am new to all this and I just bought the truck this week so the tranny issues aren't my fault lol.

Thanks again all.
Old March 25th, 2013, 1:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Replace it. That is nothing more than a centrifigul pump. If there is any doubt replace i. That to me is a big job, I'd not want to do it twice.
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

replace it. It will be full of friction material from the slipping clutch packs. You can't clean it out of the t/c. Definitely Back flush your trans lines and cooler. If you don't, you will destroy the replacement trans.