Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 5:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

silverado 1500 shifting hard from first to second gear

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado 1500 shifting hard from first to second gear

i have a 2000 silverado with 80,000 on the engine and trany and it shifts hard from first to second gear i have dropped the trany pan changed fluid and filter still shifting hard any recomindations
Old July 25th, 2012, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your trans pump not keeping enough pressure in the tranny or too much pressure. Either way that can make for hard shifts. the bands inside the tranny could be bad as well. What ever it is save yourself tons of money and remove the trans yourself and take to tranny shop. Otherwise they will wack ya on removal/installation
The following users liked this post:
2011,4.8 1500 (February 19th, 2023)
Old July 25th, 2012, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

i am new ti this,but i do have question.My 04 chevy 4x4 has started getting TERRIBLE gas mileage.Ive had the truck over 4yrs,and i know what is supposed to do.Ive checked by the calculator.Its went from around 13 in town to9.5!!!has 144,000 on it.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanks!
Old July 25th, 2012, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply i was thinking it could be the tcc regulator or spring and ball valve in the trany but the pump makes sense also is there a way to trouble shoot my trany and narrow down what the problem is so im not just replacing parts untill it is fixed
Old July 25th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JC1DEY start a new thread to get answers to your problems. Dont threadjack!

back to tranny issue.

Trannys are very hard to trouble shoot without cracking them open which is what most trannys shop will wanna do, and charge you big bucks. If I were you I would remove the tranny and trade it in on rebuilt with all the updates and warranty. You can find them for $750 + core.
Old July 26th, 2012, 4:16 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirienzojoe
i have a 2000 silverado with 80,000 on the engine and trany and it shifts hard from first to second gear i have dropped the trany pan changed fluid and filter still shifting hard any recomindations
A banging 1-2 shift is a very simple repair and no, the transmission does not have to come down.

First, check for codes. If none are found do the following:

Drop the pan back down, remove the 1-2 accumulator housing and pull the piston. Check for a torn piston seal or broken spring, but moreso for a wobbled out piston hole, which is probably the culprit.

Now, if all these items are okay, the 1-2 check is bad (unlikely). This is where it starts to get dicey unless you've been into about a million of these things, because the valve body has to come down (you don't even wanna go there).

I think you're gonna find a bad 1-2 accumulator piston. Wish you would have hollared before you changed the oil because you could have repaired this thing in just 10 minutes.

Allan
The following users liked this post:
2011,4.8 1500 (February 19th, 2023)
Old July 26th, 2012, 7:02 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the info im gonna check the codes and throw it up on the lift over the weekend hope its just a torn piston seal that would be a nice easy fix
Old July 26th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Trannys are very hard to trouble shoot without cracking them open which is what most trannys shop will wanna do, and charge you big bucks. If I were you I would remove the tranny and trade it in on rebuilt with all the updates and warranty. You can find them for $750 + core.
Bunk. Any good transmission man can tell you what's wrong with it without even opening the hood.

Who starts these silly stories anyway?

Allan
Old July 26th, 2012, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

I wasnt thread jacking there Speedy!Specifically said i was new to this,and dont know how to start a new thread if you wanna know the truth,,thanks for being a butt on my 1st post though!!!!
Old July 26th, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by jc1dey
i am new ti this,but i do have question.My 04 chevy 4x4 has started getting TERRIBLE gas mileage.Ive had the truck over 4yrs,and i know what is supposed to do.Ive checked by the calculator.Its went from around 13 in town to9.5!!!has 144,000 on it.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thanks!
I've noticed it too, just in the past few months. Think it is this crappy fuel we're forced to pay out the nose for.

Allan

Quick Reply: silverado 1500 shifting hard from first to second gear