Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck Hard to Start...been ongoing problem..help!

Old January 29th, 2012, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Hard to Start...been ongoing problem..help!

Hi all - I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LS and am having a problem starting it up. Okay, in all truth, I've been having this problem for about 2 years, and am ready to deal with it.

So, here's the story - each time I get into my truck, I have a hard time starting it up. I turn the key and it cranks and cranks and cranks, but won't start immediately. I've found that if I turn the key to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump running. To effectively start the truck, I turn the key to the on position to let the fuel pump run. I do this 2-3 times before turning the key all the way. This typically makes it start up right away. Only if I let the fuel pump run 2-3 times though.

I feel like I'm not getting enough fuel pressure into my lines...could this be it? How can I get my truck to turn over on the first turn of the key? Any help/suggestions/anticipated service costs would be appreciated.

Also, I'm no mechanic, but am relatively handy. If I need to change something myself, I can probably do it if it's not too technical. What should I do about this?
Old January 29th, 2012, 4:31 PM
clm
CF Beginner

Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator to me. the diaphragm gets weak and starts leaking pressure down. pull the vacuum line and check for a fuel smell in the line.
Old January 29th, 2012, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Ran my truck for a couple of minutes and pulled the vacuum hose off the regulator, but no sign or smell of gas there. I also replaced the fuel filter today, but that did not help either. Any other suggestions? I'm stumped!
Old January 29th, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

check ball in full pump
Old January 29th, 2012, 9:09 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to replace the fuel pump. There is a one way valve built in the keeps fuel in the lines. Your truck does not start until the line fill back up. Very common. If it was the regulator the truck would run bad for a few seconds when it started because the engine would be burning the un needed fuel in the cylinder closest to the vac line. Also you would find raw fuel in the van line before you start it and you did not.
Old January 29th, 2012, 9:14 PM
CF Active Member

i have the same problem with my truck i changed the fuel pump it fix the problem but after like a week it went back to doing the same thing did the new pump go out?
i did also change the filter and regulator on the fuel rail
Old January 30th, 2012, 5:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The fuel pump may need to be replaced. Another suggestion is the crankshaft positioning sensor. These are just suggestions, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. A certified technician should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis with a physical inspection.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys, looks like it's the fuel pump that needs replacing (again!).