Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado 4.8 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 4.8 Turbo

I have a 2002 Silverado 4.8 2wd.. And my dad has a 2006 Ram Mega Cab Hemi 4x4.. We have been looking at getting turbos.. We found several turbos from Turbonetics for roughly $1000.. Were wondering would if be cheaper to just buy a turbo kit, or buy the turbo individually and do all the plumbing and parts yourself..?? And what, if any, cons are there... Thanks
Old October 20th, 2009, 7:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Are you looking to get rear mount turbos or top mount turbos or do u just want to go cheap and stick one on the bottom of ur exhaust manifold? I would suggest a top mount with intercooler. Top mounts are more efficient and produce the most boost. Buying everything individually can save you bout $1000. The more power ur wanting the more its gonna cost. If ur only goin with bout 7lb boost u wont need to replace the injectors and the tranny should last if its in good condition.
Hope this helps
Old October 20th, 2009, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, we were probably going to get the top mounted with intercooler setup.. and yeah, we were only going to be pushing maybe 7 psi, we want the power, but dont want to tear things up.. lol but, we found a turbonetics 60 series i think? that we think would work. we just wanted to inquire about it first.. any suggestions about where is the best place to buy the plumbing setups?
Old October 20th, 2009, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

if looking to go cheap there is a plumbing kit on ebay for like $900. It comes with everything except the header and crossoverpipe.
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been considering doing a borg warner s475 with racing face. but decided on procharger instead. as for all the plumbing work and such. well. you could go get some ebay polished piping and go that route. i dont know if its stainless, highly doubt. so maybe paint them black for extra rust protection. ive been reading... A LOT about how to go about routing piping, how and where to get header collectors and that thing. what people do is take the stocker header, flip em. chop em up to get the flange on properly. and then since the turbo is far forward. you can make some nice turbo down pipe down where the exhaust normally went on the passanger side. as for the driver side to get the exhaust routed to the passanger, just keep the header in stock position, route the pipe to passanger header and chop it so it fits in. or. hopefully im not breaking any rules here. but www.performancetrucks.net

go there. hit search, type in turbo setup 02 silverado. few guys have already done EXACTLY what your talking about. same truck. put a cam in, rockers and a turbo and tune. torqe converter and are poundin the pavement with 10psi or so. hell i was going to go with a 96mm turbo. push a built motor to 24 psi. hehe. thats boost.
Old October 26th, 2009, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

wow guys.. thanks, i really appreciate the input.. i still think im going to do the turbo setup, but i found a good deal from sts.. they offer a universal kit for roughly 2500? or so with a single turbo.. i know im going to have to do some cutting and alot of fitting, but i think it will be worth it.. i watched their videos of tv shows putting in on, and i think i could handle it.. what do you guys think? its on sts' site..
Old October 26th, 2009, 9:26 PM
CF Junior Member

The $2500 it isn't everything u need. also by using an sts system u put the turbo at the back and by doing that u will loose boost cuz its so far from the engine.
I still recommend using a top mount. most boost and dont cut up your factory exhaust manifold. Just buy a passenger side header and crossover pipe.