Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Off-Roading Guides
Print Wikipost

Z71 vs Z71 Off-Road

Old August 30th, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Z71 vs Z71 Off-Road

Does anyone know what the difference in Z71 options packages are? Most everywhere I go, no one really seems to know exactly what a Z71 is, and whether there are differeing Z71 packages. Is the Off-Road truly different, or just a different sticker?
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're talkin bout the newer model trucks that have z-71 and some say z-71 4x4 thats because the z-71 have the package(skid plates and shocks and positrac and what not) but its not 4 wheel drive
Old August 30th, 2010, 1:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW my '95 Z71 has everything and it says "Z71 off road"
Old August 31st, 2010, 6:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, mine just says Z71 and it's a 4x4, so I was just wondering what the difference is. It could just be a marketing thing because other automakers put 4x4 or off road on theirs.
Old September 1st, 2010, 6:25 AM
CF Junior Member

After looking at the RPO codes for my truck, I've determine that there must be no difference. Mine has the off-road package even though it doesn't say off-road anywhere on the truck. Conclusion: Z71 means off-road.
Old September 1st, 2010, 9:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it might be just the different stickers they used on the truck. they've changed over the years.. mine is a 01 and it says z71 off road
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi 99ChevyZ71,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

"Z71" in most direct translation, is an RPO (regular production ordering) code for GM vehicles.

What the code translates to is: "Chassis Package-Offroad"

Generally, this means your truck has a G80(posi) rear, skid plates,special aluminum alloy custom rims,and other assorted goodies(used to be Bilstein gas shox, for instance) depending on what Chevy decided should go into Z71 package for that particular model year.

But "Z71" is just an RPO code describing your type of Chassis package.
2500HDs, for example have "Z85"-Chassis Package:High Payload, Firm Ride.

There is a lot of hype about Z71s, which Chevy dealers exploit to their benefit.

Look at it like this: calling a "Z71" "Z71-offroad" is like calling a water heater a "hot water heater". Your water heater doesn't actually heat water that's already hot, does it?

Last edited by therewolf; September 1st, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 7:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Therewolf, I get what you're saying. It's just that I've heard people saying that there are different ride heights and such other things. I've noticed some differences but mainly between model years and not in the same model year. I've seen similar discussions such as this thread on other sites, with mixed conclusions. I think it's a lot of rumor too.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If there's something non-standard about the ride height** when it leaves the factory**, that's usually an RPO, also.

Example: " HVY(RPO code):Identification 2 Inch Body Raise, HD Model"

Google -Wiki "Z71". It gives you a rather authoritative and illuminating history of the Z71 phenomenon. Basically it's an acronym that rolls off the tongue really easy, and sounds cool, but is simply way, way over-hyped. IMO, it's more what you do with what you've got, than what it was to begin with when you acquired it.

Some folks like to get the Z71 badged pickup, do nothing at all, and go to the bar and jaw it up about Z71 this, G80 that, GT8 the other.

Others get an old 1500 with a solid front axle, work it over, and by the time they're done, any Z71 that tries to follow them through the mud will be sorry it did.

Some folks build for the highway and touring end of the line, with roadability, cushy interiors, and improved mileage in mind.

Hey, it's all Chevy.(But it's not all Chevrolet... ...RPOs are the key to your factory build.)

Last edited by therewolf; September 4th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old August 24th, 2012, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is 2 years later, but this is what the Z71 package has to offer. Salespeople should be able to tell you this. It's also located at a website that GM has called the online order guide.

Same load carrying capacity springs as Z83
Increased rate springs, shock absorbers, jounce bumpers and stabilizer bar
Red color Monroe Shock Absorber Tubes (high pressure gas charged with 46mm piston dia.)
Includes extensive chassis equipment shields (NZZ); (front underbody, front differential case, 4WD transfer case, fuel tank, engine oil pan)
"Z71" decal
Heavy duty air cleaner (K47)
Special removable front air dam
Wider aspect, aggressive tread tires for maximum traction in loose soil
Available on 1500 Series 4WDw/SLE or SLT Decor
Benefits Provides for the rigors of off-highway driving. Designed to accommodate large suspension inputs with minimal impact to highway ride and handling. Also, provides chassis component shields.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z71 vs Z71 Off-Road