Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado Duramax 3500 questions (which year the best ect)

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado Duramax 3500 questions (which year the best ect)

Newbie here to this forum. Maybe a newbie to owning a Chevy truck.

I have a 94 Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel Crewcab 4x4 6 psd manual now and starting to look at upgrading to a newer model

I wanted to get a manual but they are rare and chevy manuals seeem to be even rarer here in the NW, so I may have to settle for an auto. The thing I do not like about auto is the constant shifting and the downshifting to go over a simple overpass while in cruise mode.

I started to look at the 05-06 F350 Diesel Crewcab 4x4 with manual but none around so decided to test drive an auto. A lot nicer then my old 94 for ride comfort.

Rather limiting myself to just Ford I decided to broden my horizons and started to look for a 05-07 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Crewcab 4x4.
The reason for 05-07 is the price and want a somewhat newer truck.

I'm not a die hard Ford fan so if Chevy has a overall better ride and better reliability it could persuade me to jump the fence.

I was wondering before I go to the dealership to ask you guys/gals some questions first about the Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax.

What is the biggest difference between the 05 to 07?
Did the Duramax engine change at all between 05 to 07?
Has the transmission change between the 05 to 07?
Did the suspension change between the 05 to 07? (want the smoothest ride possible for a 1 ton)
What should I look for while driving with the alison transmission (ratios, how should it drive, ect)?
What the Load carrying capacity for the different years?

What model has power seats? (this is a must for the wife to drive)

What quirks should I look for before buying? (Some F350 had issues of jack rabbiting at 35-40mph)

What about the earlier models (99-2006) Is there a year that stood out? .

The main thing I want is a truck that is dependable, ride comfortable, and can carry 4000lb (thinking of getting an Eagle Cap 1050 - 3520lbs wet) and tow 4000lbs with ease.

That will be enough for you chevy fans to chew on.
Thanks
Marty
Old September 27th, 2009, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjorg
Newbie here to this forum. Maybe a newbie to owning a Chevy truck.

I have a 94 Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel Crewcab 4x4 6 psd manual now and starting to look at upgrading to a newer model

I wanted to get a manual but they are rare and chevy manuals seeem to be even rarer here in the NW, so I may have to settle for an auto. The thing I do not like about auto is the constant shifting and the downshifting to go over a simple overpass while in cruise mode.

I started to look at the 05-06 F350 Diesel Crewcab 4x4 with manual but none around so decided to test drive an auto. A lot nicer then my old 94 for ride comfort.

Rather limiting myself to just Ford I decided to broden my horizons and started to look for a 05-07 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Crewcab 4x4.
The reason for 05-07 is the price and want a somewhat newer truck.

I'm not a die hard Ford fan so if Chevy has a overall better ride and better reliability it could persuade me to jump the fence.

I was wondering before I go to the dealership to ask you guys/gals some questions first about the Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax.

What is the biggest difference between the 05 to 07?
Did the Duramax engine change at all between 05 to 07?
Has the transmission change between the 05 to 07?
Did the suspension change between the 05 to 07? (want the smoothest ride possible for a 1 ton)
What should I look for while driving with the alison transmission (ratios, how should it drive, ect)?
What the Load carrying capacity for the different years?

What model has power seats? (this is a must for the wife to drive)

What quirks should I look for before buying? (Some F350 had issues of jack rabbiting at 35-40mph)

What about the earlier models (99-2006) Is there a year that stood out? .

The main thing I want is a truck that is dependable, ride comfortable, and can carry 4000lb (thinking of getting an Eagle Cap 1050 - 3520lbs wet) and tow 4000lbs with ease.

That will be enough for you chevy fans to chew on.
Thanks
Marty
Found some answers to my questions:

Did the Duramax engine change at all between 05 to 07? This diesel was upgraded in 2006 for more power (360 hp and a whopping 650 lb-ft of torque), more refinement and fewer emissions.

What is the biggest difference between the 05 to 07? there were changes made to exterior and interior styling for 2003. Further exterior tweaks for 2005