Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado starting problem...

Old August 24th, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado starting problem...

2003 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 5 speed tran.

Here is what happened. I had been driving my truck for about 2 hours moving things out of my storage building with no problems. On my last trip the truck stated fine, I drove about 100 yards to a stop sign to get on the highway. While waiting at the stop sign my truck died. It would not start again.

It will not crank at all. The first thing I tried was jumping it, with no success. After towing my truck to my local garage they told me that they could not pull any codes and that it was a computer problem. So I towed it back home.

When I turn the key on all the lights are working and bright, it will just not turn over.

I replaced the ignition switch, no luck...
Starter relay, no luck...
Battery, no luck...

Today I broke down and replaced the PCM/ECM which I thought would surely work, no luck...

I just ordered a clutch pedal ignition Lock switch, it will be in tomorrow.

I am getting constant power to my starter, but nothing when I turn the key. The starter will jump with a screwdriver though.

Anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss...any help would be appreciated.
Old August 24th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

factory security system. try this. turn the key to on position. don't start it tho. let it sit for 15 minutes like that. turn key off.wait 15 seconds, then try to start truck. remember, let it sit with key on the whole time without trying to start, and wait 15 seconds after you turn it off before trying to start.
Old August 24th, 2012, 7:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
factory security system. try this. turn the key to on position. don't start it tho. let it sit for 15 minutes like that. turn key off.wait 15 seconds, then try to start truck. remember, let it sit with key on the whole time without trying to start, and wait 15 seconds after you turn it off before trying to start.
Thats my take also for what thats worth. You might also check the security system fuse. I't won't crank without it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

That is what i was thinking also. Thinking about it i dont think my security light is coming on at all will check the fuse and try to reset it in the am.
Old August 24th, 2012, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be very odd if the computer failed especially for starting. The factory security does not disable the starter in 2003. It kills fuel and spark the truck would still crank. The security light is not flashing because it is not a security problem. How did you get the new computer programmed? ( not saying that is the problem just a question). The first shop must have been stupid, maybe there were no codes because it is not a computer problem. Either get yourself a test light and an electrical diagram and do some testing or take it to someone who can read a diagram and knows how things work. The shot gun effect is always more expensive then paying for diag time. Is there power on the large wire at the starter? Is there power on the little wire when the key is turned? Power into the ignition switch? out of the ignition switch? Power into safety switch? Out of the safety switch? If you jumper the crank relay will it start? The testing is easy, I can not believe the first shop could not figure it out. Have you checked ALL the fuses in both fuse boxes? I would suspect the ignition switch went bad and some fuses blew.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

I ordered the computer through All computer resources, flashed to my vin and mileage.i do get power to the large wire, but i do not get power to the small wire when the key is turned. I have checked the starter fuses but will check them all when i get off work in the am.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

How do you jumper the crank relay?
Old August 25th, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I checked all the fuses. I found a 20a PCM b fuse that was blown. I replaced it and now my truck will turn over! Now the problem is that it keeps blowing the fuse. When I turn the key it will crank for about 1 second then blow the fuse. Any ideas what I can do next to fix/troubleshoot this problem?
I returned the clutch pedal ignition switch, and will replace the old PCM and return the new one.
Old August 25th, 2012, 4:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Probably a short in the starter. Since you were able to return all the other, I'd suggest invest in a starter.
Old August 25th, 2012, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Ok it is cranking now without blowing the fuse but still will not start. It is getting spark at the plugs, but acts like it isn't getting fuel. Maybe it's bad gas from the truck setting for the last 6 months or so? I did add a gallon of new gas just to make sure it had gas and was not empty.
I was worried that since I put the new PCM in and then removed it and replaced the old one that I would need to do a relearn on the key. I did the process, although the security light never came on.
If it was the security system would it be getting fire to the spark plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Silverado starting problem...