Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So my '95 C1500 caught on fire today...

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my '95 C1500 caught on fire today...

Dashboard fire, took out pretty much everything right of the radio and fan controls. Luckily I got the fire extinguisher on it before the entire truck became a bonfire. The computer, middle of the wiring harness and everything else in front of the passenger seat is pretty much gone.

The sensible thing to do, of course, would be to part it out, sell it or 'try' to stick the body on my '84 M1009 (which was free, rusted badly and deserving of it's own thread). However I've never been accused of being sensible so I intend to try and salvage the truck in the most uncivilized and redneck-ish way possible.

Her specs: 1995 C1500 WT with AC, 4.3L (TBI I believe), ABS, 5 speed, 8ft bed, 169K miles, runs strong, much surface rust which for the Maine coast is the norm. The fire did not touch the engine compartment and the wires coming into the cab from the engine are good for about a foot or so.

Right now I'm planning on cutting out the melted dash, everything to the right of the instrument cluster is going. I'm completely removing the AC system and not planning to have heat, I'll wire in a few of the electric heaters instead. All the wires associated with the AC, heater, radio and interior lighting are going. The 4 ways still work, I figure for the basics like lights and wipers I can splice the current wiring together and use the stock controls. That solves one problem...

Despite my ambition I'm not very good with wiring (absolutely hate it is more accurate), which hopefully is where some of you might be able to help out. I'm picturing wiring this thing more like a 1955 instead of a 1995, however I have a suspicion I am going to run into issues with that.

The big question is, can I rewire this 1995 for on the road use without needing to have an on board computer and other fancy doodads? I have no issues with not having ABS or anything else outside of the basic operation of the truck, just want to be able to drive it around town and scare tourists with it.

So, whatcha think? I can get you any more info that might help, just let me know.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You will need the computer as it controls the fuel mixture and many other valves on the truck. Might even control transmission shifting. I am not sure if that was done in 1995, but i think so.