Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Sounds like a knock

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like a knock

How's it going guys, 1996 Chevy 305 1500 2WD. Recently I noticed that my truck has what I think is a knock. It is very quiet and almost undetectable when I first start the truck up but after driving it for a few miles it becomes very audible even with the hood closed. It sounds like it is coming from the very front of the driver's side. It sounds like a knock, but it's not really rhythmatic and is a little higher pitched than knock's I have heard in the past. Anyways wondering if anyone has any advice on things I could check for that could be a misinterpreted as a knock or maybe determine if I do and why I have a knock. I had valve work done by the dealer about 2 years ago when I got back from deployment. Thanks guys.
Old February 12th, 2012, 6:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same yr and drive train. How many miles, does it get louder or quieter as thr engine warms up.When you hear the noise with the truck in gear, step on the brake and lightly rev the engine. If it's a mechanical knock it should get louder and more pronounced. If not,remove the serptine belt and start the engine and listen for the noise. If the noise is gone its on of the accessory items or pullys...Alt.,power steering pumg,water pump, AC compressor.
My truck has 270K on it and has had a bit of piston slap for the last 100k or so at cold start up but it goes away as the engine warms.This seems to be a typical Chevy quirk and I have just learned to let the engine warm for a few mins. before driving. Hope this was helpful. Let us know what you find.

Thank You For Your Service

Last edited by 96 Junk That Moves; February 12th, 2012 at 6:57 AM. Reason: add info