Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speedometer jumping problem

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Speedometer jumping problem

Howdy all,

So I have a problem with the speedometer in my '06 silverado w/ the 5.3 v8. With the key turned to accessories or when the truck is started, the speedometer bounces between 0-80 mph erratically while the truck is in park/not moving. I'm trying to pinpoint the reason for this. Things I've tried so far is pulling the DIC fuse, disconnecting the battery to trying to reset it, but the problem still persists. I'm at a loss at where to begin checking for solutions

Leading up to this problem, I installed a double din Kenwood heat unit the other day with the chime retention module, and everything worked fine. I even drove it around and the everything was operating as it should. I didn't find the problem with the bouncing speedometer needle until I routed a power cable from the engine bay to the cabin to hookup my subs/amp. Before I even connected the power cable to the battery, I stuck the key in the ignition to accessories on and found the speedo needle was bouncing around.

I've since pulled the power cable and tried to retrace my process to find the problem, but the problem still persists.

So what could I have jiggled loose, touched, or done to cause my speedometer to start bouncing up and down.

Any help and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance~

**Edit** Been messing around with it, checked various fuses, and disconnected the battery again to try and reset everything. I managed to get the speedometer needle to stop jumping around, but now the needle does not register any speed at all... So now the question is what would make the speedometer stop working? Vehicle speed sensor? Blown fuse/resister/electrical component?

Last edited by aav240sx; February 16th, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Your problem might be caused by the problem GM had with their stepper motors in the gauges. From 03 to 06 these stepper motors were faulty and would eventually cause problems similar to yours. There was a recall on these. It might be too late for you, but you can check with a dealer if yours was on the recall and if it is still good.
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply! Yes, from searching around, I found that many people did have problems with the stepper motors in their clusters. I did find that the needle does move down below zero and then back to zero right when I start it up so I can't imagine that it's completely out...

Any idea on what I could check that may cause the speedometer to not register vehicle speed?
Old February 16th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

It could be the speed sensor or it could be the stepper motor. If it goes down below zero then I would guess it is the stepper motor. The other 5 stepper motors will also eventually go bad.
Old February 24th, 2014, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

So... Not sure what the problem is... I ordered and installed a new stepper motor into the speedometer. Same problem persists. Dropping it off at the Chevy dealer tomorrow.
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

aav240sx,

Please keep us posted. If you need assistance while at the dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by aav240sx
So... Not sure what the problem is... I ordered and installed a new stepper motor into the speedometer. Same problem persists. Dropping it off at the Chevy dealer tomorrow.
There is still a good chance that your new motor is bad.

Several years ago I had to replace my gauge cluster (I had several gauges that would work / not work sometimes or they would give faulty readings).

Please let us know how your problem is fixed. Thanks!
Old March 6th, 2014, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

So I ended up not taking it to the dealership because I was told they'd just swap out the cluster for over $500 to start off, and I don't have the funds for that.

What I ended up doing was pulling the cluster and sending it out to a guy out in Minnesota who does cluster repair to have all the motors replaced and updated the VFD and to have it all calibrated. I got it back today and re-installed the cluster to have the speedometer and tripometer still not work...

So any suggestions on what to check out at this point? I feel like it has to be a sensor, or loose wire to a sensor at this point...