Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Springs On Z71

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Cool. I still thought it would of had coil springs. My buddy I had the bet with is a 2008 Chevy 1500 and his is the Work Truck Model and he doesn't have tension bars but does have coil springs.
Old February 15th, 2010, 6:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mudmaniac is right. all 4wd models from 88 up (with independent front suspension) use torsion bars. they're couple inches diameter, one driver side, one passenger. if you crawl under your truck, right about center of front doors, you will see them coming out of a crossmember, running forward to the lower control arms of your suspension. yes, you win.
Old February 15th, 2010, 7:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went back through some of the googling I did.... Everything i looked at was 2WD... Wow.
Old February 15th, 2010, 7:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all the snow has caused brainwave interference.
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Veteran

arent coil springs better for off roading instead of torsion bars and shock absorbers? i'd think that 4wd trucks should have coil springs and 2wd have torsion bars since torsion bars give a better ride than coils. but mudmaniac is right
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah I think maybe the only reason they have it on my buddies truck is because its a work truck. I do know 01 F150's Have torsion and coil springs. I know what torsion bars are. I got the suspesion maxx torsion key leveling kit on mine. I was still shocked I didnt have coil springs.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Veteran

nice. im liking your decals haha. those are sick. i just picked up my leveling kit today and hopefully installing it this weekend. damn shop took forever placing my order. too bad they dont make aftermarket coil springs for your trucks.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah I havnt even looked into it. I would like to put 37" tires underneath it but might settle for 35" Im going to get atleast a 6" lift but still debating which on to get. And want to wait till I have all the money at once to order lift and tires. I still crank the front end up a couple more inches but it would look retarted. Which leveling kit did you get?
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:58 PM
CF Veteran

rough country, keys and 4 shocks. a kit i havent seen anybody mention around here has been fabtech. seems to me people are opposed to the lift kits with the add a leaf kits. they tend to lean towards the block kits. i was looking at the rough country lifts and the new ones are pretty nice. not sure if i'd get the ntd kit or the normal lift.
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM
CF Active Member

I would lean towards add a leaf or replacing the leaf springs completely. Yeah I like the NTD I havnt read the installation manual on the NTD but I did a 6" RC lift on a 01 tundra and you had to cut out the cross member under the front differential which Im sure if you ever wanted to take the lift off that wouldnt be good.Been meaning to look up if the NTD lift requires the same. I just sold my 90 ram charger and the guy that bought it had a truck similiar to mine with the RC keys in it with the torsion bar cranked all the way up I think he said and he had 2 or 3" blocks in the rear with add a leaf. It was really nice looking. He had 33" tires but it look just right.

Quick Reply: Springs On Z71