Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Starter intermittently stays engaged

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter intermittently stays engaged

I have an issue on my 2000 Silverado 5.3 where the stater will intermittently stay engaged even after the engine starts and i turn the ignition off and remove the key. Sometimes i can turn the ignition back on and off and it will stop other times i have to remove the neg battery cable. Heres what i have done so far. I have replaced the Park/Neutral safety switch, the electronic ignition switch, checked all connections, replaced starter (2x), and replaced battery. The truck was having an issue where i had all power to everything except it would not even attempt to start not even click so i had the starter checked that i purchased from a salvage yard (trying to save a buck, wont make that mistake again) and it failed all the test the autozone stores runs, so i purchased a new starter from autozone and it started perfectly. But after the 3rd start it stayed engaged as the other two starters had done. Im at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tmcgee09; October 19th, 2013 at 3:00 PM.
Old April 5th, 2021, 1:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carguy

Originally Posted by tmcgee09
I have an issue on my 2000 Silverado 5.3 where the stater will intermittently stay engaged even after the engine starts and i turn the ignition off and remove the key. Sometimes i can turn the ignition back on and off and it will stop other times i have to remove the neg battery cable. Heres what i have done so far. I have replaced the Park/Neutral safety switch, the electronic ignition switch, checked all connections, replaced starter (2x), and replaced battery. The truck was having an issue where i had all power to everything except it would not even attempt to start not even click so i had the starter checked that i purchased from a salvage yard (trying to save a buck, wont make that mistake again) and it failed all the test the autozone stores runs, so i purchased a new starter from autozone and it started perfectly. But after the 3rd start it stayed engaged as the other two starters had done. Im at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is normal for vehicles with pcm or ecm assisted starters, if you hold the key for 0.4 seconds it starts the timer and will continue to crank until vehicle starts or the no start timer is reached.. there is no repair needed as this is normal operation. Hope this helps answer your question..
Old April 5th, 2021, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 263 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Bubar
This is normal for vehicles with pcm or ecm assisted starters, if you hold the key for 0.4 seconds it starts the timer and will continue to crank until vehicle starts or the no start timer is reached.. there is no repair needed as this is normal operation. Hope this helps answer your question..
1) In case you didn’t see it, there are dates next to the username - the original post was from 2013, so I would hope the OP figured it out by now.

2) What the OP describes is NOT normal operation. In the first couple sentences the OP stated the key could be off and removed from the ignition and the starter still engages - that’s not normal, even if the PCM is programmed to crank for a pre-determined amount of time.