Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Column Swap - Ignition Module Wiring Issue - Not Starting - Help!

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2014, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Swap - Ignition Module Wiring Issue - Not Starting - Help!

I just replaced the steering column on my 1995 Checrolet C1500 4.3L V6 with a junkyard steering column from a 98 Chevy K1500 with a V8. I used the column from the parts yard, but the ignition module from my old truck. When I finished installing just about everything, I noticed there is a small wiring harness outlet on top of my ignition cylinder lock. My old ignition module wiring does not the wires for that outlet.

Is this a change in ignition module and steering column wiring from 95 to 98

Can I take the wires from the top of the ignition module off the parts tuck and splice them into any of the wires from the old ignition module that I have installed currently? The colors do not match.

Can my old ignition module work with this new steering column?
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

wondering if it the passlock module wiring. What colour are the wires and are their 3 wires?
Old April 14th, 2014, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, there are three wires. They come out of the top if the ignition lock cylinder. One is orange with a black stripe, one is red with a white stripe and the other I believe is solid yellow or yellow with a white stripe. I have to run out and check real quick.
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

I just removed the ignition module from the column and attempted to start with a flathead screwdriver like I have been doing for the past month or so, and it didn't work. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the pass key system is not the immediate issue I need to deal with. I may not need to deal with it at all.

I had two black wires down below that look like they were the same wire, but they were cut. I spliced them together, hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not. Radio lights up when turned to on or accessory, no dash lights, wipers barely try to move, no cranking.

Now I'm even more perplexed.
Old April 14th, 2014, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Update: I discovered my Ignitiom 1 fuse was completely blown, so I replaced it with a new one. I'm still not turning over, but I got my dash lights back.

I have the ignition module pulled off the column so I can turn it with a screw driver and it doesn't turn over.

There are two questionable ignition module wiring connections that I can see under the dash. The yellow wire has been spliced off of and the red wire has been spliced off of. The yellow seems fine as it looks as if it is respliced correctly...the red seems questionable.

The red wire has been spliced off to a black wire that is live and not connected to anything. What is the purpose of the thick red wire and the thick yellow wire that are part of the ignition module. What would you splice off of the red wire for potentially?
Old April 14th, 2014, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

I just discovered that the red wire is constant 12V power and the yellow is for the starter. The red seems live, started definitely isn't working, the ignition 1 fuse is still clean and unbroken since playing around a bit.

I also just discovered a Viper alarm siren under the hood. I realized that and potentially a trailer light wire were the things spliced off of the ignition wiring harness. I am going to look for all of the components, uninstall them in reverse order of their directions and resplice the original wires together...hoping that this helps. :/

Any help or advice for a noob?
Old April 14th, 2014, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Bueller?
Old April 14th, 2014, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSilverado95
Yes, there are three wires. They come out of the top if the ignition lock cylinder. One is orange with a black stripe, one is red with a white stripe and the other I believe is solid yellow or yellow with a white stripe. I have to run out and check real quick.
those wires are for the passlock theft deterrent. The 98 has passlock theft deterrent. Did your 95 have passkey theft deterrent with the resistor pellet in the key?
Not sure how mixing the 2 systems will result.
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

Originally Posted by ChrisSilverado95
I just replaced the steering column on my 1995 Checrolet C1500 4.3L V6 with a junkyard steering column from a 98 Chevy K1500 with a V8. I used the column from the parts yard, but the ignition module from my old truck. When I finished installing just about everything, I noticed there is a small wiring harness outlet on top of my ignition cylinder lock. My old ignition module wiring does not the wires for that outlet.

Is this a change in ignition module and steering column wiring from 95 to 98

Can I take the wires from the top of the ignition module off the parts tuck and splice them into any of the wires from the old ignition module that I have installed currently? The colors do not match.

Can my old ignition module work with this new steering column?
Where you able to complete this? I have a 90 C1500 and am considering a steering column swap like yours do you have pics bro?