Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Stiff steering after new steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2013, 2:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff steering after new steering gearbox

Hello,

I had the steering gearbox replaced for a rem one.. Steering was really stiff.. i couldn't turn. Mechanic said that the steering was fine in the beginning but then the steering gearbox locked. i don't even know what that means lol. what could be the problem ? The steering pump is new.

Can a bad steering gearbox cause stiff steering or it's just air in the system ?

Could it be the hoses letting air back in the system because according to the car mechanic the car ran fine when he tested it.
Old March 13th, 2013, 1:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Could internal components go bad in one day because of air in the system?

car was not driven but engine was started for almost an hour.. and steering wheel was turned left and right few times.. i wanna know if this rem steering gearbox from autozone is functioning well.
Old June 29th, 2013, 3:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Not sure if this will help or not. Check on the steering box to see if there is a screw with a locking nut on it. If there is try loosening the nut and back the screw out about 1/4 turn. Tighten the nut back up while holding the screw so it doesn't tighten when turning the nut and give it a try. I know on my older cars that screw/nut was used to take the slack out of the steering. If it is too tight that might cause stiff steering. Also, with the engine turned off you might try to turn the steering shaft back and forth and listen/feel for too much slack. If it feels sloppy it's too loose. I'm not a mechanic so maybe a real mechanic can give info on this but this is what I used to do on my old cars with regular steering when I was younger. And that was a long time ago...