Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Swap a V8 into a 4.3 V6 fullsize?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 6:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it well fit, and if u have the time to do it, u may come out ahead, but do your research and use search engines to find info on the swap
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the answers are not as easy as the questions are, but I will do my best to clear the air. first look at my post "tuned port conversion " I have been doing crazy things with motors for years, and everybody asks why. to which I answer because people said that I couldn't, and it was just plain crazy, or just because I could. 500 Cad conversions, lots of EFI into a non EFI swaps, the cool thing is reciently there has been a lot of breakthroughs in the EFI field. it is now possable to put any GM EFI ECM on any motor, just have to find the right programmer, and figure out how to mount injectors and sensors.

now for V8 into V6 everything is reused except the complete intake and injectors on a TBI, the ECM will need to be reprogrammed or rechipped.

Vortec v8 to v6 swaps, oh boy! 1996 & 1997 used the same ECM, wiring....the tricky part is the missing 2 injector wires, the best hing to do is pull the ECM, wiring, motor, and transmission, and transplant it all. allmost everything will plugg and play, don't know what gotchas will arise. get wiring schematics and study them. the V6 and V8 are virtually bolt in swaps, but the V6 trans WILL not survive behind a V8, not as many clutches.

1998 and up things start to get a little dicey, differant ECM, differant wiring harness, it is possable though, just how much time are you willing to put in to save the $$$$ I have 3 months in the TPI conversion, but virtually no money, the motor was built for a different car 3 years ago so that money doesnt count!

Last edited by tinbender59; August 22nd, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Waboom!!
yeah that makes an easy swap!!! Lets change the engine AND the entire body!!!

been there done that, not to return to soon
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by cliceaga
hello, I want to know the difference between the harnees of a cheyenne v8 1996 and the 1998, all this because I want to make my 1996 full injection, does somebody knows what its the difference just to be sure what harnees I really need to change cause they are like fivem but if they are the same I do not have to change anything

look here http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....98-Chevy-Truck

that is your best bet, type 12200411 into your search engine, lots of stuff on it out there,

Last edited by tinbender59; August 22nd, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

im in the middle of a 1991 stepside chevy 4.3 swap with a 2004 Silverado 5.3 LS engine. this swap is a little more advanced and im finding it to be a rather simple swap. I too have a manual five speed transmission and to my understanding (and I know a few people who have done s10 4.3 to 5.7 swaps with the same transmission) the only thing that is different is the flywheel as far as bolting to the transmission. so many aftermarket parts stores sell motor mounts for these specific swaps its ridiculous. you can get a set for as cheap as 60$. with the wire harness and computer off of the 350 truck your getting the motor from you can definitely get the job done. look into video swaps of similar projects and trust me there are thousands
Old May 30th, 2015, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default 4.3 out - 5.7 in / 93 Chevrolet Silverado

Well, what I'm having trouble with is getting the 4.3 mounts off of the frame. The bolts are just spinning and not backing out. Am I going to have to take my lower seeing arm off?
Old May 2nd, 2016, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have a 1998 short bed chevy it's n great shape got it without engine.

Originally Posted by mikemjohnson
i got 1991 the cheyenne w/t, and have done everything and more to convert it over to a silverado, and the engine is on my to-do list in a year hopefully when i have some funds saved

from what i know:
It is a fairly easy swap, extremely easy when compared to swaping engines on imports and stuff. the 350 has the same frame bolt locations as the 4.3 (252), and connects to the transmission and everything without having to buy new parts. i think the only thing u have to pull besides the ECU is the new intake manifold. also, if your cheyenne is older 252 like mine, and you're going to a 96+ 350, you're switching from the older chevy throttle body 252 to a Vortex 350, so I dont know if that requires any more modifications. i would suggest trying to find a 350 in the same year your cheyenne is to minimize problems.

also, another solution which ive always considered for my lifted 2x4 is to just do a body swap. find an old K1500 with a good frame and the 350 you're looking for, and swap the bodies, and sell the 'new' cheyenne and keep the now 4x4 cheyenne. there are only 6 bolts holding the entire body and cab setup on the frame for the 88-98 generations, so its not too hard
I have a 1998 chevy truck shortbed bought it without engine. Was told it had a 350 vortec. So I buy a 4.3 vortec v6 now I find out it had a v8. The motor I have the v6 is n truck we changed motor mounts . The v8 wiring harness with computer has been taken out an now trying to put the same wiring harness that goes to my v6 on starting to have problems. Can it b done r am I wasting my time. Please some one help.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
too much work to justify doing it
TimesTWO!!!!!!!!!! JMHO.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default So. Confused

Originally Posted by justimagination
TimesTWO!!!!!!!!!! JMHO.
Yes I have a 98 chevy c1500 cheyenne with the 4.3 v6 and 5.speed manual transmission.. All of this information is so confusing.. The v6 always has issues with the the distributor I don't know how many times I've had to replace that dang cap and rotor I really want to do is swap but I don't know being in California how to do the easiest swap without being compliant with California's rules does anybody have any information for an easy swap to get some better horsepower out of this truck without having to do too much any information was greatly to be helpful because I'm a beginner and have no clue what I'm doing