Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Tail light tint

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2013, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light tint

Anyone have tinted tail lights? I've been thinking of tinting mine but I don't want to use the spray tint, I would rather use the film kind. I know a lot of people say not to do it cuz it's illegal and all that so I'm not looking for criticism. I plan on putting in some LED tails so it will compensate for having the tint on there and I won't lose visibility. Anyway, there is a couple bends in my tail light that look like they may be hard to conform to. What's a good brand of tint that can be heated with a heat gun maybe to shape what I need? Anyone that has done it have any advise? Thanks.
Old October 13th, 2013, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I didn't know there was any other way other then spray on tint....
Old October 13th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Junior Member

I've seen it on a couple of different forums for cars. On amazon they sell a bunch of different kinds and shades. Looks pretty sweet. I don't want to do the spray kind because I won't be able to go back if I ever change my mind or sell my truck. YouTube has videos of it being done if you get a chance to check it out.
Old October 14th, 2013, 7:22 AM
CF Active Member

Default Its illegal.

I did it to my truck. I used the spray. I was fine running around town with the local police, but as soon as I got onto I-20 and the DPS Troopers saw me, I had flashing red and blues in my back window. It is now illegal in Texas to have ANY form of tint on signal or headlights. Its not about weather or not the light shines through the tint, its that the reflectivity is diminished or taken away, they say. I see you live in Dallas. You may get away with it up there as busy as it is, the cops have bigger fish to fry...but if you ever get singled out on the hiway someway and run across a "bored" trooper, they'll stop you. DPS is tightening down the screws lately. They are pulling people over for 3 and 4 mph over, since the speed limit was raised to 75mph. I would get the removable kind. The hard plastic cover. Either, a kick *** looking aftermarket set can be bought on eBay failry cheap, that are %100 legal.
Old October 14th, 2013, 7:25 AM
CF Active Member

Not to mention, good luck getting an inspection sticker too with darkened lights.
Old October 14th, 2013, 8:37 AM
CF Active Member

TxDPS - Lighting Go to the link, Then click on "blackout".....
This may be more of a response than you wanted, but I'm bored. Its raining here, and I cant go to work today....
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for that link, it also answered my question about tinting a front windshield with a un-tinted UV film... which is yes, you can...
Old October 14th, 2013, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I live in Hawaii for now and will be moving to Louisiana in a couple months. As I said I know it's illegal but thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about inspections or any of that. I'm simply looking for advice on how to do it and what to use. Thanks all for looking and replying.
Old October 18th, 2013, 3:20 AM
CF Junior Member

There's already transparent and smoked plastidip that you can put on the tail lights. It's cheap, easy to do and can be peeled off.
Old October 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Iluvchevy where can I find that at? I've seen regular plastidip but not what your saying. That would be perfect. The last thing I want is to modify something that can't be put back stock with out replacement.