Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp sensor

hey guys i was just wondering if anybody could tell me were my temperature sensor is located on my 1990 chevy k-1500 5.7 350?I am haveing troubles with my heat fluxuating when i'm driving. It will be at normally temp range (195) and then will jump all the way up too 225 degrees. then after a couple of seconds it will fall back down to about 130 or so. so if anybody has any ideas to check out besides the temp sensor let me know and i will check it out. thanks alot
Old February 5th, 2008, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: temp sensor

it should be on the drivers side of the block next to the exhaust manifold or headers what ever u have.. it should be a one wire feed to it and it screws into the block... either u have a bad temp sensor or a bad guage.. i would go with the temp sensor first.. its pobably cheaper then a guage... hope that helps
Old February 5th, 2008, 1:46 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks alot that helps a ton
Old February 5th, 2008, 2:26 PM
CF Active Member

no problems.. let me know if that fixes it..
Old February 5th, 2008, 3:53 PM
Super Moderator

On my '95 5.7 there are two temp sensors, there is one on the side and there is on the top next to the T-stat. I don't know which one controlls the gauge, I think it is the one on top.
Old February 6th, 2008, 1:25 PM
CF Junior Member

so i replaced the temp sensor last night and put in more collant and burped it and what not and i got in my truck and drove it around to see if it would do it again and its still doing it. so i have ran out of ideas so if anyone would let me know what they think it will help me out alot. i'll try anything now
Old February 6th, 2008, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

I think that has an engine driven fan right? Have you checked the fan clutch? Sometimes when those are failing they cause some pretty funky problems.
Old February 6th, 2008, 3:44 PM
Super Moderator

Whenwas the last time the T-stat was replaced? That may be your problem. When I checked the T-stat in mine, after buying it and putting 1500 miles on it or so, my gauge wouldn't go past 140, well I found that rubber seal around the T-stat was shreaded to pieces letting the fluid to flow freely and not letting the truck warm up. If yours is the same way then it maybe closing and opening causing it to get hot and then get cold and so on. Just a thought.
Old February 6th, 2008, 4:38 PM
CF Junior Member

well i just replaced the t-stat on sunday and i replaced the top temp sensor that is right next to my t-stat yesterday and today i am going to replace the temp sensor that is in between the 1st and 3rd cylinder. but yeah i thought it was the t-stat too thanks though and i'll let you guysknow how this goes for me.
Old February 8th, 2008, 4:13 PM
CF Junior Member

okay guys this is really bothering me. so on wedsday i was driving and my power steering pulley busted right off at the welds. so yesterday i fixed it and was driving to school and i looked at my temp gauge and i couldn't see my needle cause it was so hot. and i have no idea what it could be anymore i have checked and replace everything but the water pump and the temp gauge. so if anybody has any ideas please let me know thank you

Quick Reply: temp sensor