Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Thinking of adding factory Navigation to my 2012 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of adding factory Navigation to my 2012 Silverado

I am thinking of adding the factory navigation to my 2012 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ. It has the backup camara in the mirror, usb standard cd radio. What years are compatible with the 2012's?? I thought I read somewhere that the 2012's have a different electrical/communication system and the 2011 and older are not compatible. I have seen that they added a hard drive to the 2012 navigation radios, what else is different? I would have just got one with navigation but with the 6.2L I was looking for and no dealers willing to do a dealer trade (they were dealer demo's) and the time constraints I was in I had to settle for one without.
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

2012s have different plugs on the back side, so anything 2011 and older wont work.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Active Member

Bad idea, the problem with factory navigation is that it can't keep up with the innovation going on with the handhelds or aftermarket. So, in a year or even from the day it is put in it will be old stuff. You can get better systems for less money with better technology in the after market.
Old February 25th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

On-star turn by turn?
Old March 25th, 2012, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

you can put 011 nav radio in 012,012 with standard radios ,harness has not been changed,the issue will be with programming.dealer will have to ghange vin during programming to an 011 vehicle ,during key off on cycle vehicle will learn current vin.
and radio will work .another issue will be with warranty issues if u have problems down the the road,because tac will not acknowledge incorrect radio being in vehicle.gm is tightening down on this ,because of all the radios being bought online and installed,then people wanting warranty repair after ebay junk does not work
Old April 10th, 2012, 1:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned the annual cost of the navigation maps upgrade is more than the cost of buying a new GPS every year and currently a lot of $100 GPS units include free lifetime upgrades. With a portable GPS I can use it when I am walking or when I travel and rent a car.

Lots of third party nav systems and even wireless Magellan units that work with a rear camera. Even replacement mirror with monitor and rear camera systems that sell for under $200 and have a better camera than the one that comes with the truck.
Old July 18th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

You can add the 2011 Navigation to this vehicle no problem. You will need some harnesses to integrate with the VCIM, and VSS. Also you will need an amplifier if it does not have bose. I've installed a few of these and got them to program correctly.

If you wanted to install a 2012 HDD Nav into this vehicle, it would require a conversion harness. I made one myself which I should be testing this week.

Any questions feel free to email me.
Old July 19th, 2012, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

I did get the 2012 Navigation to work in my truck, I found a vendor that made the adapter harnesses, video harness, xm antenna extension harness, and radio antenna adapter, vcim harness ect along with the Nav unit itself for 1550.00 shipped to my door.
Old July 19th, 2012, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

sounds like a good deal. Do you mind if I ask which vendor you got it from?
Old July 19th, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

CPS Audio Video in California

Quick Reply: Thinking of adding factory Navigation to my 2012 Silverado