Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zm1040
I've heard that a throttle body spacer "adds 10 hp but eats gas."
That's a bit of an exageration, with a spacer you'll get 3 maybe 5 HP but the throttle response is quite a bit better because the volume of air getting into the intake is increased.

Any time you start changing parts to increase the performance of your truck you'll start eating into your gas mileage.
Old September 30th, 2010, 2:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im for sure gonna get the fans here soon... as for the throttle body i might be holdin off on it for a lil bit just because im not sure how to go about the portin the intake part. Cause i know when i get it in im gonna want to do it all at once
Old September 30th, 2010, 2:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Porting isn't really that hard it just takes a lot of time, patience and a very steady hand. As with anything else the more practice the better you get.
Old September 30th, 2010, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

would these fans be right? they seem to be a lil smaller than the dimensions of my radiator so i don't see why it wouldn't but i want your opinion

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deral...Q5fAccessories
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:11 PM
CF Active Member

i really hope no one wastes money on throttle body spacers, if you have them then it is absolutely pointless, if anyone is loking to get them DONT
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverado13
i really hope no one wastes money on throttle body spacers, if you have them then it is absolutely pointless, if anyone is loking to get them DONT
Any information your going off of unless it's first hand experience is probably from someone who didn't get what they wanted out of a spacer.

I already have one and unless you have installed one and actually found a difference or lack of then you really shouldn't be commenting on the subject. My throttle response improved quite a bit over stock after installing my spacer And no I didn't just slap a bunch of stuff on my truck and think it was the spacer. My truck was bone stock when I had my spacer on it and my throttle response was better especially when I was towing.
Besides if you had read the entire thread you would have seen that the question asked was about a throttle body not a spacer.
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by country_09
would these fans be right? they seem to be a lil smaller than the dimensions of my radiator so i don't see why it wouldn't but i want your opinion

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deral...Q5fAccessories
The best thing to do is make a comparison. Go on sites like Summitracing and Jegs and see what is recommended and compare those with ones you are interested in buying. The main thing you want to look at is the CFM rate usually they are sold to compare to the flow(CFM) of a stock fan.
Here's a link to some I found on Summit that are recommended for your year truck.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...c/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Old September 30th, 2010, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

alright will do. thanks for everything
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

to stocks10
yes i have had throttle body spacers on my truck before. one of my close friends owns a dyno shop, and anytime i put any after market part on my truck i get it tested to see if there is any difference, throtttle body spacers had absolutely no horse power differnece, i have also personally bored out my throttle body and that made about 6 horse power difference, i posted that original comment to worn anyone who doesnt want to waste any money, i challenge you to do the reseach what a rthrottle body actually is supposed to be doing, i tell you what, ill ruin the suprise and ill tell you, a throttle body spacer is supposed to atomize the mixed air and fuel, so if you have basic knowledge about how an engine works and the set up of your vehicle, please explain how its supposed to atomize a fuel and air mixture if it is before the fuel is even mixed with the air?
Old October 1st, 2010, 1:38 PM
CF Junior Member

To Silverado13
Yes I do know automotive theory and repair, and horsepower and performance. Throttle body spacers are based on the old design of a carburetor spacer which are used to increase the atomization of air/fuel mixture by increasing the volume/flow of an intake. The use of a spacer on a fuel injected vehicle is for increasing the volume of the intake manifold. Intake volume effects air flow and speed in essence when adding a spacer you are converting an intake manifold from a low-rise to a mid-rise and if you know anything about automotive performance you know that changing intake volume changes power range. So in theory a throttle body spacer is designed to change the torque and power range, increase the intake volume for better flow and increase horsepower. So to answer your question about it atomizing the air/fuel mixture it can't because it's on a fuel injected vehicle but like I said it's based on the old theory of carburetion/air volume. I guess I will say thank you though you have proven my point that on every forum there is someone who will bash others decision because they put a part on their vehicle had a buddy dyno it than decided that it wasn't worth it to them.

Last edited by stock s10; October 1st, 2010 at 2:03 PM.

Quick Reply: throttle body question