Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Time for some power adders, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some power adders, any ideas?

I'm looking for some basic power adders for my 01 silverado 5.3L. So far on my list i have a custom tuned PCM by black bear performance because it was pointed out to me you will gain much more with the custom tuned pcm then you will a chip. Airraid tube for the intake with a k&n filter using the stock filter box. Now i have heard alot of answers both ways about throttle body spacers. Is it just a complete waste of time and money? Alot of people were saying that it does help with throttle response. Any personal experiences with this? As far as those go are there any other pretty basic power adders to throw at this motor? Also does anyone know if there are any headers that will bolt right up to the stock exhaust the way it is without mods?
Old June 24th, 2012, 9:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle body spacer=paper weight on these newer style(99 and up) 4.8,5.3,6.0 motors. On a carbed motor, they worked great though. Headers you'll want to do Longtubes, not shorties as they're basically the same as the stock manifolds on the truck. Shorties worked great for 98 and older(5.7, 5.0) because the stock manifolds were wayyy restrictive. Newer manifolds not so much. So Longtube headers and a offroad y-pipe will help a whole lot. And with the y-pipe, it bolts up to the rest of the exhaust unless you've cut the stock y-pipe for a dual exhaust. After that, basically you get into cams and heads
Old June 25th, 2012, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

If you haven't already put new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and fuel filter on it and that could give you 5-10hp
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:27 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by country_09
Throttle body spacer=paper weight on these newer style(99 and up) 4.8,5.3,6.0 motors. On a carbed motor, they worked great though. Headers you'll want to do Longtubes, not shorties as they're basically the same as the stock manifolds on the truck. Shorties worked great for 98 and older(5.7, 5.0) because the stock manifolds were wayyy restrictive. Newer manifolds not so much. So Longtube headers and a offroad y-pipe will help a whole lot. And with the y-pipe, it bolts up to the rest of the exhaust unless you've cut the stock y-pipe for a dual exhaust. After that, basically you get into cams and heads
What do you mean by off road y pipe? Are you saying get a different y pipe? I'm sorta confused. And will longtubes push the o2 sensors back farther cause won't that effect the reading if I'm correct? Just trying to do all the research before I get into it and run unto problems.
Old June 25th, 2012, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator

Off road y-pipe means no cats basically. It connects to the end of the Longtube headers, and then connects to the stock portion of the exhaust behind where the stock y-pipe and rest of the exhaust continues. And no, the headers have o2 bungs for the front sensors, the back 2 will have to be deleted by Justin at blackbear when you retune. This way you don't throw codes for the sensors
Old June 27th, 2012, 1:27 AM
CF Active Member

Will not running cats effect how the truck runs though? or hurt gas mileage? Is it possible to run long tubes with the cats without to much of a hassle?
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:47 AM
Super Moderator

It won't hurt anything If you get the back o2 sensors tuned out. Runnin LTs and cats is a hassle and most shops won't wanna do it, but if they do it'll cost an arm and a leg caus they have to custom fab a y-pipe and put cats in there and clear everything
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

So the long tubes with the ORY bolt right up to where the stock set up does under the cab then correct?

I just know on my last truck when i removed the cat it killeddddddddddd my gas mileage and actually seem like it ran worse because there wasnt any back pressure and i guess thats whats kind of worrying me about this. I do drive this truck all over and dont really want to hurt the gas mileage to much.

Will runnin the long tubes with the ORY be a huge noticable difference or is it not really worth the hassle? I heard it makes a noticeable difference in your throttle response is this true?

Any suggestions on some long tubes that include the ORY for a decent price and I want something thats going to last because i do live in michigan so have to deal with salted roads and what not in the winter. I have seen alot of people go with pacesetters. Just what i saw on a quick google search.
Old June 27th, 2012, 9:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about swapping your engine out for an LS1?
you'd get way more power AND better mpg while cruising.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

There's about a 25 hp and torque difference with headers and off road y-pipe. And throttle response is greatly improved. Yes, if you look under your truck and see where the y-pipe and exhaust connect, that's gonna be where it connects to so it's a direct fit. Don't do pacesetters if you have to deal with salty roads. Get a set of stainless headers (Texas speed has a set) but they offer y-pipe separate. Gas mileage should actually go up 1 mpg or so with them because they scavenge the exhaust much better than the stock exhaust. Overall, way worth it

Quick Reply: Time for some power adders, any ideas?