Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Aircharger heatshield box question

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2008, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircharger heatshield box question

I've had this on my 2007 Silverado for a few months now http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-3058, but was wondering if the fully enclosed box around the air filter is necessary. It obviously is restricting airflow, but why would the installation instructions call for the box to be installed. Can I just remove the lid of the box? And what effects would I see by doing this? Would I have to clean the filter more often, etc. Thanks.
Old August 6th, 2008, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Aircharger heatshield box question

nateratm;

IMO, you should run the heat shield and lid. Here’s why:

a) The heat shield box keeps engine heat out of the filter area. Sure, most K&N kits that have heat shields don’t have a lid, but if they made one for this kit there must be a good reason why. Yeah you could run without the lid, but you probably wouldn’t see the HP gain they advertise. And running without the lid won’t change how often you need to clean the filter. K&N’s will go 50,000 miles before you ever have to look at them.
b) The “box” isn’t a sealed box. All the box is meant to do is to be a barrier for the heat the engine puts off. On the other side of that “box”, the filter is still open 360 degrees, as opposed to the factory box that is sealed and draws air through a tiny port in the bottom. And the lid that K&N gives you isn’t a sealed lid; it just sits on top of the heat shield and keeps heat from getting in through the top side.

What indications do you see that the airflow is “obviously restricted”? When I put my kit on I noticed an instant HP gain.
Old August 6th, 2008, 6:43 PM
Super Moderator

exactly what he said ^^^^
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply stev o. even though it took a month for someone to reply [sm=hiya.gif]

I had it off for about a week, and compared it with when it was closed, and actually saw more positive gains with it closed.

I just thought that with it opened it would draw in more air easily, and thus increasing airflow. Which it really doesn't.

Another quick question. When I initially installed the intake, I must have not fully tightened the filter to the adapter of the intake,
and when I lifted the lid the filter was completely disconnected to the intake. This probably lasted about a month or so being disconnected.

What adverse affects could this of caused? Should I be concerned?
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Over that month, how many miles did you drive, and in what kind of conditions?
Old August 9th, 2008, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

I probably drove a little over 1,000 miles, in mostly normal driving conditions.
Old August 12th, 2008, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

You might want to have an oil analysis done to see if there's any signs of trouble.