Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tools, Parts and Skills required to replace the Read Axel Planetary Gears?

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2009, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools, Parts and Skills required to replace the Rear Axel Planetary Gears?

I have a 2000 Siverado that just about went kaput last night. Took the cover off of the rear axle expecting to find a bad ring gear. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. With a glimpse inside the opening of the "planetary assembly?" i see the little gears in there are almost completely destroyed.

I've done a few engine rebuilds (bare block on up) but have never wandered into the inner workings of the rear axle.

I guess my questions are, can this be done under the ol' tree? Are the little gears in there replaceable by themselves, or do i have to buy the entire planetary assemble, or the entire rear axle?

Thanks for any advice or insight you might have about this, i just really can't afford the $1250 they want for a dismantler yard rear axle around here.

Last edited by sonikamd; February 19th, 2009 at 8:16 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 2:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First things first...buy a good repair manual and read up. Then decide if you want to tackle the adventure.
Old July 6th, 2009, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The planetary gears and the cross pin can be purchased separately and replacing them is not that difficult, however, you would also need to inspect the carrier and axle splines for any damage.
Old July 6th, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spider gears are the easiest thing to do inside the rear end, just don't break the pin bolt off! it can usually be done without taking the carrier out. don't cheap out on spider gears either, the more you pay the longer they last
Old July 7th, 2009, 7:59 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about the 4 smaller gears that are grouped together? If so those are the spider gears, planetary gears are in the transmission. The spider gears are very easy to do . Jack the rear up so the rear tires are off the ground with the truck in neutral. The rotate the pinion (driveshaft) around until you see the 5/16 bolt/pin going horizontally through the metal rod going between the spiders. Remove it, it is recommend that you use a 6 point wrench or socket because sometimes it is very tight and may round off with a 12 point. Now slide the metal bar out from the center you may need to turn the drive shaft to get it all the way out of the diff housing. Now roll the spiders out and roll them back in you may need to turn the wheels. It can be tricky and frustrating to get them back in lined up however with patience it can be done.