Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2012, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Mirrors

I have an 08 Silverado 2500 hd. I am looking to install towing mirrors . The part# from GM is 19158391 however it states this mirror upgarde can only be used if the vechile have DL3 Mirrors mine has DL8, can I still use this towing mirror?
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:37 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> btlaing,

I don't believe so. Could you PM me your VIN number so I can research this further?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 20th, 2012, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

i just purchased tow mirrors from cabelas and had them on in 30min 190.00 each heated turn and power hope this helps
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They'll work. You truck is setup for heat, turn signals, and power stock. So just make sure the toes have that function and they're plug and play, everything will work
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

We have the towing mirrors for your vehicle
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Hd Door Mirror - Action Crash, Dorman - TheAutoPartsShop - TheAutoPartsShop

I believe the dealer package is power telescoping, that is why you need the DL3 option. Ours are manual telescoping.

On the last page are the kits...one power glass with the signal in the housing and one manual glass without the signal in the casing
Old June 10th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power telescoping feature was discontinued as it failed too much of the time. Now the mirrors have to be extended by hand but are more reliable.
Old June 10th, 2012, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by elkhornsun
The power telescoping feature was discontinued as it failed too much of the time. Now the mirrors have to be extended by hand but are more reliable.
that and no one wanted to pay the $1000 to replace one mirror assembly.
Old June 11th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

OK, here is the deal because I DID this!!

My old truck had heated / power mirrors. Purchased an aftermarket set of tow mirrors for my truck for 175 for the pair. They had a one plug connection that was a direct plug and play. The mirrors were AWESOME!!! Now, I traded my truck for another Chevy. This one is a LTZ with power mirrors w/ turn signals heat, memory seats (also that parking position for the mirrors), and power collapsing mirrors and auto dimming. When I removed the stock mirrors, they had a two plug connection. When I changed out the mirrors, I automatically lost the power folding option, auto dimming, and turn signals as my mirrors were ordered without those options (no real problem there). The power adjusting option works great. Now the tricky part. When I had the parking option (where the mirrors turn into the rear tires when in reverse) turned on, the mirrors went up and to the left for some reason. I turned off that option via the DIC buttons and no problems. Additionally, I have the memory seats. When I hit the memory seat button, instead of the mirrors moving to the saved position, they again move to the upper most position. I assume this is because my mirrors did not have the second plug.

So check the connections on the back side of your door panel (it comes off pretty easily with a trim puller and a few screws removed) to see how many plugs your stock mirrors have. Make sure your new mirrors have the same one or two plug connectors. I believe the second connector is for the memory, auto dim, etc options. The basics (power adjust and heat) work just fine. After I hit the memory seat button, I just adjust the mirrors which I would have had to do anyway so no big deal.

I hope this helps.!!!!

Eric
Old June 17th, 2012, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the assistance guys I had no problem installing the DL8 mirrors everthing is working thanks again.