Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Towing and Power Question

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing and Power Question

What would cause this? My 95 Z71 1500 runs great normally. When I tow my trailer (about 4-5K pounds) though I have a hard time getting any acceleration. I can put the pedal all the way down and the RPMs don't change and the truck doesn't go any faster than 55-65. The RPMs haven't gone over 2500, so I don't think I am overtaxing the engine. Not enough fuel? The spark plugs and wires probably need to be changed, but everything else is in decent condition as far as I know.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

low fuel pressure, exhaust restriction, retarded timing are somethings that come to mind.

Any dtc?
Can you view fuel trim?
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, with toting that kind of a load, you don't want the trans to be in overdrive. For one, the engine rpm's are way below your optimum power band. And two, you take a chance of overheating the trans.
Old May 26th, 2012, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I have always towed in 3 and not OD. That brings up another question though: could it have anything to do with the tranny? I had not thought of that.

I haven't checked for any codes. The CEL does not come on...wouldn't it come on if there was a DTC? I can't view fuel trim. It will have to go to the shop at some point. The problem is it pulls fine without the trailer. And I can't bring the loaded trailer to the shop. So how are they going to diagnose this?
Old May 26th, 2012, 7:59 AM
CF Senior Member

What tech2 said,try bypassing the cat with a piece of pipe,how many miles on it?if your trailer has brakes are they dragging?
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

About 96K miles. Trailer isn't too old...its a 2007 but it was never used when I got it in 2010. Would I know if brakes were dragging other than taking it apart? Wouldn't there be an odor or noise? Might be good to take it for service to rule that out though. Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2012, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Also, with toting that kind of a load, you don't want the trans to be in overdrive. For one, the engine rpm's are way below your optimum power band. And two, you take a chance of overheating the trans.
overdrive.. the D with a square around it right? i thaught it was for promoting ease with hills and towing if anything else