Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Silverado 2011 6 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 2011 6 speed transmission

I have the new six-speed transmission in a very well equipped Silverado. I am expierenceing very hard down-shifting and if I dont keep my foot on the brake while stopping, it will "throw" me into intersections. Also it frequently shifts again at 65mph and with the flex-fuel engine you can feel the cylinder deletion from v8 to v4...a very rough switching back and forth.

Of course the Chevy dealer cant find any problems and that this a normal ocurrence.

Is anyone else having or noticing this kind of issue with the 2011 Silverado.

doug727
Old October 4th, 2011, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by doug727
I have the new six-speed transmission in a very well equipped Silverado. I am expierenceing very hard down-shifting and if I dont keep my foot on the brake while stopping, it will "throw" me into intersections. Also it frequently shifts again at 65mph and with the flex-fuel engine you can feel the cylinder deletion from v8 to v4...a very rough switching back and forth.

Of course the Chevy dealer cant find any problems and that this a normal ocurrence.

Is anyone else having or noticing this kind of issue with the 2011 Silverado.

doug727
My 2010 does the bump when it goes to V4 mode also. Not real cool, guess we have to live with it. Mine makes a whine when I take off? only first gear,
Old October 5th, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

I've got the same setup you do with 2011, the 5.2, A6 and "flex fuel" and I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms you're talking about. It's not "normal" and I'd be beating on the dealer to get it fixed.
Old October 8th, 2011, 9:33 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a 2011 Silverado, 6 speed. Has not been a bad learning experience. My transmission has already lined out from multi-shifting to about one on an uphill climb. I don't feel the change from V4 to V8. I do notice the change in the sound of the engine.

I think you need to contact another dealer or have a meeting with the
GM rep.

What you are describing is not normal IMOP.

Please keep us posted.
Old November 8th, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default same here

my 2010 has a whine in 1 and 2nd. Brought to dealer today, Mech says" fluid is bypassing a valve or "something". And it needs to be fixed or could lead to further damage!
Old November 9th, 2011, 2:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Shakydoug,
Are you aware if these repairs will be covered under your powertrain warranty? If you are not sure when you warranty ends, you can send me your VIN number and I can check for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 10th, 2011, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

The service writer did not indicate I had to pay. I have 20,000 miles on 2010 truck?
Old November 18th, 2011, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Going to pick up my truck after repairs. service writer says it still has a slight whine!
Old November 18th, 2011, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same 2010 5.3 A6 and some days it shifts real hard. And going into 1st at a light it feels like it wants to push me out. I bought the DIC afterward and I can feel the v4 and hear it rumble at certain speeds. I want it to go into v4 a lot more. Not how I thought it worked.
Old November 18th, 2011, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default still whines

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Shakydoug,
Are you aware if these repairs will be covered under your powertrain warranty? If you are not sure when you warranty ends, you can send me your VIN number and I can check for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Here is what Classic Did:
Removed transmission to disassemble and inspect. Metal debris in transmission. Found excessive wear in forward pinion gears of the output carrier due to poor machining. Replaced output carrier. Completely dissambled to clean debris. Flush and flow cooler---Code 9804F86 .7GPM @ 71 degrees. Cycle 356.

Quick Reply: Silverado 2011 6 speed transmission