Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

TPMS system

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS system

I am wanting to change tires and wheels on my 07 silverado but I have been told by tire stores that the new tire pressure sensors cannot(or are very difficult to) be taken off the wheels. They have informed me that the new sensors are a one pice deal instead of like the 06 versions where you can unsrcew them from the valve stems. Does anyone know of a way to do this without buying new sensors($58 a piece). I really do not want to let the idoit light stay on for low tire pressure on a brand new vehicle.
Old August 8th, 2007, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: TPMS system

See your dealer and have them turn off the tpms option in the body computer.
Old August 9th, 2007, 5:26 AM
CF Beginner

I had the DIC constantly telling me I had pressure issues after switching to Nitto Terra Grapplers. They run at a higher psi than what the factory range is set at for the stock tires.

I had two dealerships tell me they cannot reporgram the monitor for the new psi. I was ticked off, until I went to yet another dealership. No lines, no check in, no paperwork. Just a GM mechanic with a GM programmer who reprogrammed it in under 5 minutes. They didn't charge me a dime.

I don't know if this totally applies, but if you put the psi monitors on the new rims and the tires have a different psi range, then shop for a competent dealership that knows what they are doing.
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:43 PM
e
CF Senior Member

the newer tpms are two piece and yes they can be taken apart and yes you can purchase just the stems. In our area the only dealer willing too sell the stems by themselves are the Caddy dealer.
Now the tire shops around here are not willing to mess with the TPMS. They say they cannot be reused if you cange your wheels. Plain BS
I have 24's but opt'ed to buy new sensors and the dealer reprogramed my PSI in the computer for the new pressure and learned the new sensors to the system. 5 minutes in cost $0.
Keep trying with different dealers
Old August 10th, 2007, 5:49 AM
CF Junior Member

I had the wheels and rims changed on my NBS 07. The sensors are not part of the stem. You will need new stems at approx $8 each when you swap but NOT new sensors. I had to have this done at the dealer because none of the tire stores wanted anything to do with them. Was going to have it done there anyway, as the Bubba's that work at the tire stores didn't impress me and I didn't want any damage done, but was told they wouldn't do it anywayevery time I priced out tires and M&B fees. The only way they would mount the tires on the rims was if I brought the rims in with the stems and sensors already swapped over.

I have read where the sensors in the 1500'swill only read up to 44 PSI and no higher. Funny but in that case the word is to swap to an 06+ Impala sensor as they can read higher? I would think to just run the sensors off the HD trucks as LT's run at 50-60+ PSI? Also, when does an Impala tire run at more than 44 PSI? Weird for surebut what I read numerous times.

One other point. Not all aftermarket rims will work with the new TPMS. There has to be room for the sensor. Lots of rims just won't work with them. On another GM truck site I visit that is more active this issue has come up for a lot of guys.
Old March 14th, 2009, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Default can that really be done???

Originally Posted by Studebaker
See your dealer and have them turn off the tpms option in the body computer.
Everybody I have talked to at every dealer says that there is absolutley no way to turn off the TPMS. I hate it and would give almost anything to disable it!!!! Any insight would be much appreciated...
Old March 14th, 2009, 1:28 PM
CF Active Member

Default Tpms

Originally Posted by texascop2
Everybody I have talked to at every dealer says that there is absolutley no way to turn off the TPMS. I hate it and would give almost anything to disable it!!!! Any insight would be much appreciated...
It is illegal to turn of the TPMS (it is federally mandated) and cannot be turned off. You can buy new valve stems from the dealer part number is 15263240. I can ship you a set of four for $20.00 a set. I am in the Dallas FT Worth area.
The trucks (1500 series) sensors can be used on tire pressures upto and over 80lbs. I have used them on 2500,3500 series vehicles. The tire pressure threshold settings need to be programed in the RCDRL (remote control receiver module) of the vehicle. In the RCDRL you will find the tire type and pressure the vehicle will be expecting.
Old March 15th, 2009, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by charlie pachanga
It is illegal to turn of the TPMS (it is federally mandated) and cannot be turned off. You can buy new valve stems from the dealer part number is 15263240. I can ship you a set of four for $20.00 a set. I am in the Dallas FT Worth area.
The trucks (1500 series) sensors can be used on tire pressures upto and over 80lbs. I have used them on 2500,3500 series vehicles. The tire pressure threshold settings need to be programed in the RCDRL (remote control receiver module) of the vehicle. In the RCDRL you will find the tire type and pressure the vehicle will be expecting.
I am assuming that the stems i have on my truck can be used on the new rims, but if i need any i will contact you. What I cant seem to find out a straight answer on is this: CAN a TPMS be shut off? Not whether it is legal or not. Example: It is illegal to remove a catalytic converter, but it has been done. I have ordered my 20" wheels and they should arrive at the end of the week. The truck only as 200 miles on it so the current tpms sensors are still brand new.
Another question...some rims keep the sensor in the wrong position to make the tpms work correctly. I have heard there are some "straps" or adaptors to correct this???? Anyone got any insight???
Old December 29th, 2009, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Relearning for tire sensors

2007 Silverado 1500 with Information system. Don't have the book in front of me and I think it is called TCP.

Had tires changed and rotated. The pressure sensors showed irratic numbers and I tried to reset them. The fields went blank. Now I try to get the system to relearn. I get the horn double chirp and as per the manual, I do the left front tire and cannot get the learning chirp with either deflating or inflating the tire. I think the tire shop broke the sensors or one which will not complete the loop. It aggravates me. I have lost two days use of my truck while these idiots try to figure it out. Can anyone give me help to pass on so I can get my truck back? I am tempted to stop payment on my credit card and take the truck back to my dealer but that will mean time lost from work which will really make this an expensive deal. Any help will be appreciated.
Old August 9th, 2010, 3:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Tpms

I know the TPMS will read pressures up to 85# and the local dealer here reset my pressures no problem. I went to America's Tire and they did the swap to new rims for nothing and they had no problems doing it either. I was out of their in 35 minutes.

Quick Reply: TPMS system