Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tranmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmission Fluid and Rear Diff Fluid

I just purchased a pre-owned 03 Chevy Silverado 2WD with 123k miles. I am a DIY, and think I am going to change the Tranmission fluid and Rear axle fluid, have a few questions

- should I change the tran filter?
- Is it a tough job to change the tran fluid and filter, looking for recommendations on how to do it, I have seen a few ways, from siphoning oil out, to draining and dropping the pan. let me know your thoughts on what is recommended
- rear axle fluid, does it have drain plugs or do i need to remove the plate?
- any tips on replacing the fluid on the best way?

thanks for your help.
John
Old March 30th, 2010, 6:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey john i have an 04 silverado 1500 4wd. i changed my fluid last november and let me tell you it is a bi***. my retired mechanic neighbor and i disconnected the pipe from the exhaust to get the pan out. other way to do it is take off the **** linkage bracket on the side of the tranny. two torx bolts are on top and can only be taken off by feeling your way thru it. the rear end fluid is more simple than an oil change. just take off the diff cover let the fluid drain while that is happening clean the magnet inside the diff cover and clean all the fluid out. get a can of "the right stuff" not cheap and make your own gasket around the cover and bolt back together. there is a fill plug by the u joint on pass side of diff. use 3/8" drive extension to get it out and just fill back up. remember to put in what you took out. most guys say its full when fluid comes spilling back out of the hole. but i did my last rear end change myself it was full and ended up taking out only 2 quarts so i put 2 quarts back in. rear end is running fine. my suggestion is to use synthetic. it can be ran in the rear. but check owners manual it will say. i used royal purple over mobile one. good luck
Old March 30th, 2010, 6:28 PM
CF Veteran

shift* lol.
oh and yes change the filter. go to your local auto parts store and pick up a filter & gasket kit for your tranny pan. measure the depth of your pan with a tape measure just from the outside cuz the parts guy might ask if you have the shallow pan or deep pan. i had the deep pan and depth was i believe 1 7/8"
Old March 30th, 2010, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I tried to drop my pan and after a hour of fighting with one bolt i gave up lol
Old March 30th, 2010, 8:06 PM
CF Veteran

lol. never quit.
Old March 31st, 2010, 2:29 AM
CF Senior Member

yeah. do fluid and filter. makes you feel more secure knowing its changed. glad i got my 98 silverado... 16 bolts on the pan and its all open. hehe...