Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tekonsha Voyager installed on 2009 Work Truck by previous owner

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tekonsha Voyager installed on 2009 Work Truck by previous owner

2009 Silverado Work Truck 33K miles V6 engine.

Previous owner says that he never actually used the controller because he never carried a load that was heavy enough to need it. He says that he always installs these controllers on his trucks just in case. He also purchased the 5 year 100K mile warranty major guard plan with GM which I transferred over into my name.

I am wondering if I have reason to be concerned. I am wondering if he really did pull some loads that required the trailer brakes. Wouldn't any load that requires trailer brakes be too large for a v6 and cause heavy wear and tear on the tranny?

Are there trailers out there designed for very light loads that also incorporate trailer brakes?

I am not knowledgeable about this subject. Thanks for all help.
Old May 7th, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states require trailer brakes on trailers of certain weights. I wouldn't think he would put one on just for fun.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
e
CF Senior Member

A lot of 16 foot tandem axle trailers have electric brakes. Hell even pop up campers are starting to come with them. Smaller campers have them as well. Just because you have a v6 dosen't mean that your truck isnt capable of pulling a decent size load.

If your that concerned, why not have the tranny fluid changed. Its recommeneded at 50k anyway, and this way you could see if fluid smells burnt, or dark, which would lead to believe that he was doing some heavy hauling. Just a little insurance.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys.

Would a controller like this void the additional GMPP Major Guard plan that we transferred into my name if the tranny goes out later? I would call them to find out myself but they are closed.
Old May 8th, 2011, 6:10 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Follow all recommended service intervals and you should be good to go. Chances are they will want to see proof of maintenance in something should arise. This happened on 97 Z71 at 98k miles. My extended warranty didn't want to pay for a tranny because they said I had a receiver hitch on my truck. I proved the dealer installed the hitch when I bought the truck new, and that I had the tranny serviced every 30k miles by GM. After that they laid down and gave the okmto replace the tranny under warranty. I used the truck for pulling the toys around and I'm a little heavy footed so I figured the early service was a good idea.

If GM wouldn't want you to use a electric brake controller why would the pre-wire for it?