Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Transfer Case Trouble 99 Silverado 1500

Old July 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer Case Trouble 99 Silverado 1500

Hi all,
I want to start out by saying this whole forum - guys helping each other - thing is pretty damn cool!
So here`s what I`m up against now. I took my truck into the transmission shop. Seems the trans is fine, but the transfer case has been leaking where it bolts together, there is too much lash in the transfer case, and this is why the truck often clunks into gear or struggles to shift when I accelerate quickly.
I changed the front and rear u-joints (the rear was especially sloppy) hoping that would fix the problem. It didn`t. I changed the rear seal on the transfer case, and then had the transmission power flushed and new fluid put in.
Anyway, after all that, the transmission shop guys tell me the trans is fine, but there be dragons in the transfer case. I`ve never seen the inside of one. I have a manual, and am looking at it. I know I haven`t specifically identified the problem, but if anyone has some experience with something that sounds similar to what I`ve got going on, send out a holler. All ideas and thoughts welcomed and appreciated.
Old July 9th, 2010, 9:35 PM
CF Active Member

purchase a replacement from wreckin yard easer faster and cheaper in the long run, call G & R truck parts in Wichita Kansas tell Flint he is uggly, he will know who sent ya! 316-24-5911
Old July 28th, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by knucklebust
Hi all,
I want to start out by saying this whole forum - guys helping each other - thing is pretty damn cool!
So here`s what I`m up against now. I took my truck into the transmission shop. Seems the trans is fine, but the transfer case has been leaking where it bolts together, there is too much lash in the transfer case, and this is why the truck often clunks into gear or struggles to shift when I accelerate quickly.
I changed the front and rear u-joints (the rear was especially sloppy) hoping that would fix the problem. It didn`t. I changed the rear seal on the transfer case, and then had the transmission power flushed and new fluid put in.
Anyway, after all that, the transmission shop guys tell me the trans is fine, but there be dragons in the transfer case. I`ve never seen the inside of one. I have a manual, and am looking at it. I know I haven`t specifically identified the problem, but if anyone has some experience with something that sounds similar to what I`ve got going on, send out a holler. All ideas and thoughts welcomed and appreciated.
Why don't you get a proper transmission on it, or maybe try swapping or changing it out for a different transfer case.

Last edited by venomouse; July 31st, 2010 at 3:27 PM.
Old July 29th, 2010, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default reply advise

My thanks to tinbender59. I've got my ear to the ground for another transfer case. With any luck, I should have this looked after pretty soon.

To venomouse, I'm unsure what you mean by a "proper transmission." Do you know what transmission I have in my truck? How do you know if it's "proper" or "improper"? I haven't stated what type of transmission is in it, so I'm wondering how your advise to put in a "proper transmision" applies. As for changing the transfer case for another transfer case, please read tinbender59's comment which comes right before yours. Your effort to help is appreciated just the same.
Old July 30th, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Active Member

sorry G&R's number is 316-523-5911 I kinda fat fingered that one
Old July 30th, 2010, 2:33 AM
CF Active Member

here is one Wichita Criagslist http://wichita.craigslist.org/search...60e&srchType=A

Kansas City http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/1860583905.html http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/1845274502.html

Last edited by tinbender59; July 30th, 2010 at 2:37 AM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by knucklebust
... the transfer cases has been leaking where it bolts together, there is too much lash in the transfer case, and this is why the truck often clunks ...
... I have a manual, and am looking at it. ...
I did the same thing, I held the manual for a very very long time and at last decided to take it to a mechanic

I had a clunk noise problem too so I crawled down to check. It was wet but not dripping, I think the plate was wet too. The mechanic told it was a transfer leak and fixed it. Now there's no annoying noise just great service. Hope you get it fixed it soon, good luck!

Last edited by onseytote; September 24th, 2010 at 3:13 PM.